I've never watched the BBC's latest take on Robin Hood, but I thought I'd give it a try last night.

So who writes this stuff, Maid Marion killed in the last series, what!! and we have an African Friar Tuck, no offence meant to anybody, but isn't that stretching the legend a bit too far in the interests of PC.

Then we have Robin running about with a composite bow that he presumably obtained from his mate Saladin, perhaps the writers should have gone the whole hog and introduced some more Merrie Men, Islamic warriors happy to come over from Palestine in a rowing boat, or maybe even in the back of an articulated horse drawn wagon from Calais via a cross channel ketch.

Perhaps we can look out for that later in the series, perhaps with a few Chinese and Indian take aways nestling against the walls of the castle or maybe a French farmers market, well the ruling heirachy were Norman so that makes sense.

Incidentally, did you spot the deliberate mistake.

Apart from the fact that only one total eclipse of the sun was ever visible from Nottingham in the entire 20th century and that was in February 1598, the sequence of such an event was considerably longer than shown, and what happened at the end of it, a 3/4 moon was shown over Robins right shoulder with the sun quite clearly shining from the opposite end of the sky.

Perhaps I'm being picky, because it was quite clearly all good fun, I just wish Robin would lighten up a bit and take his opportunities to kill off the bad guys when he gets all those chances though, it must be that crappy bow, stick to a good old English Longbow my son, look what it's about to do to the French at Agincourt.

Always thought tho in reality..Robin ( whoever he was - from all the theories ) was from a totally different era to marion.....so its always baffled me how they met......( as for him being buried in the top of the wardrobe...( where he shot his last arrow ) this new series could use an Ikea Wardrobe ).

HA !!

I caught 30 seconds of it, and after spotting a black bloke in it I switched off.

I couldn't give a toss who I'm upsetting, the script must be pathetic to put him in it...idiots.

It`s all to fit in with the script,PB. You see in the next episode the black chap gets killed.

The following week Robin and Little John are to be seen digging a very large deep hole in Sherwood Forest. The reason for this is believed to be because the script notes Robin and his men "are ...blackberrying in the woods...

PC Robin Hood? when I first saw this I thought he'd joined the police! can't recall the figures but no end of cops with a criminal record it's been recently revealed, so he would have got in ok,lol "blackberrying"? doubtful, they grow on bramble bushes, maybe coal mining? I once went to look at a bungalow in nrth notts and garden was full of bell pits where ex miner owner had been getting his own coal! Robin Hood and co would in modern days be classed as terrorists so maybe Saladin was Al Qaeda link? not sure where the black bloke would fit in though?

What is it with these scriptwriters and producers?

If I'm watching a movie about the rise of the Zulus,Chinese, or Aztecs for instance.I don't expect to see a European face in the crowd to satisfy the PC brigade.Not until such time as when the storyline includes their inviteable meeting with European travellers.

It used to be Hollywood to blame for such as Errol Flynn and the Yanks liberating Burma,and Steve McQueen in a semi factual escape film about British prisoners of war.

I wonder how a film would go down over there about our lads conquering Iwo Jima or the Phillipines?

You've all got a bit lost here, firstly the 20th century was from 1900-1999 not 15 hundreds !! in the last couple of series there was a muslim character in it already !! and it's just a bloody fantacy tv show made to entertain asnd not meant to be factual

I wonder how a film would go down over there about our lads conquering Iwo Jima or the Phillipines?

Not quite as daft as it sounds.

Did you know, that despite the Hollywood version of events in the Pacific, the British Pacific Fleet was actually the largest Royal Navy task force ever operated and by the end of the war against Japan consisted of 4 ( modern ) battleships, 17 aircraft carriers, which, with 300 aircraft provided 25% of the entire Allied air strength, 10 cruisers, 40 destroyers, 28 modern submarines plus countless other vessels.

The Formidable class of fleet carriers were more heavily armoured than their American counterparts which tended to be easily put out of action by Kamikaze attacks, the RN ships had concrete mixers on deck which allowed them to fill in the dents with rapid hardening cement and have them ready for action extremely quickly.

As far as Iwo Jima was concerned, the Hollywood movies don't tell you that the supporting bombardment was provided by RN Capital ships with our carriers providing combat air support, in fact on just one day during the operation, FAA Seafires shot down 8 attacking Japanese aircraft.

So the next time you watch the film on TV, feel very smug in the knowledge that those USN fighters shown over Iwo Jima would have more than likely been the FAA version of the Spitfire, not flown by Ben Affleck either.

Sorry Beefsteak, knickers in a twist, I meant to say that there has only been one full eclipse over Nottingham from the 10th Century to the present day, I would also imagine that during the time of the Crusades that the chances of any Muslims being present or welcome over here and surviving would be very remote, things don't change much do they. I do admit to not seeing any previous episodes and I did say it was all good fun, which it is.

The point is, why do they have to tamper so much with Nottingham's only true legend, though having said that, the film industry seem to have taken liberties with Mr Clough as well.

Just wait till they start on Torville and Dean / Sue Pollard and Leslie Crowther !!!!!

If you think about it, apart from Robin Hood and Brian Clough, who else with a relationship to the area has had a film made about them.

I would have thought that the intigrueing lives of Byron and Lawrence would have made fortunes for the film industry, but I don't recall any major productions about them, perhaps someone local with a failed GCSE in studying The Sun should make the suggestion, write a script, and offer it to Tinseltown, it couldn't fail.

I'm not sure how Hollywood would cope with our living legend Sue Pollard, Cate Blanchett perhaps, with Russell Crowe as Leslie Crowther, well it makes sense, he's an Aussie, he must like cricket.

Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson as "Torville and Dean" in "Bolero, this time it's personal"

Russel Crowe is a Kiwi!!

There you go, I have to admit to my failed O Level in Sun Media studies.

If RC is a Kiwi, does that mean he might be up for a part in the new Dambusters film, perhaps as a bouncing bomb.