roads closed costs toads loads

Every March Beanford Lane (near Oxton) is closed so as to protect migrating toads, but this closure is now under threat because Notts County Council wants to charge £600.

Anyone who knows Beanford Lane will know that is not a busy road and it takes no effort whatsoever to avoid using it.

What I would like to know is how it costs £600 to put up and then remove a couple of road closed signs? A job that can't take more than twenty minutes.

Same occurrs in Strelley village, solution, council gave a volunteer householder a couple of triangular 'Toad' warning signs foc to be put out when required.

(before Kev asks, the signs were for the motorist to read, not the toads!)

!laughing!

Trouble is, my dog has a tendency to attempt to sort them out as they hop around the pond, I'll have to take him on a PC course with regard to frogs and toads, there must be a relevant clause somewhere in the appropriate government websites, I wouldn't be surprised if they have employed a domestic local authority frog adviser on a huge salary.

The ones that MOTORISTS :sorry: read on the awsworth byepass has those signs up ( with tunnels under the road ) and it says 'RANA' underneath them....like we all know what that means. ...( how do the Toads know to use the tunnels ? they must be bl**dy deaf too cos the tunnels make a loud pop as you drive over em...must be deafening down there.)

Ayup Kev,

If you look just pass the curb on the Awsworth byepass you will see what looks like old pit conveyor belting running the length of the curb and curling up so that the reptiles can't climb it, the only gaps in this belting is where the tunnel entrances and exits are thus "guiding" the little reptiles to the tunnels and hopefully across the road in safety, the best thing about it is,,,IT WORKS

see you next week

Rog