I'd be interested to know how others store their digital pictures, as a heck of a lot of my cd's that contain data etc that I have copied within the last couple of years or so are failing to retain their data.

combine this with hard drive failures and I have lost literally hundreds of irreplaceble images.

I do print out some, but to print out all would be cost prohibitive and time consuming.

nowadays I make at least half a dozen cd backups, and also store them online, but this still isn't guaranteed.

how are they going to stand the test of time - what's the answer ?

ilko..

Dunno what the answer is Ilko t'old lad....What with CD "rot" and now word reaching us that DVD's are prone to the same problems, haven't got a clue.

You say the CD's & DVD's are deteriorating, isn't that due partly to the quality of the discs in the first place? I thought the better quality of disc the better quality film they use on the disc, hence longer life?

No Cali, apparently the earlier CD's had a problem with the "base" material reacting with the aluminium, thats all those made during the mid eighties. Then they said all those made after a certain date were going to last forever....WRONG!! Now we are hearing reports of CD "rot" and DVD's doing the same! Basically it's corrosion of the thin aluminium recording platter thats the problem...

No Cali, apparently the earlier CD's had a problem with the "base" material reacting with the aluminium, thats all those made during the mid eighties. Then they said all those made after a certain date were going to last forever....WRONG!! Now we are hearing reports of CD "rot" and DVD's doing the same! Basically it's corrosion of the thin aluminium recording platter thats the problem...

You did it again It's Caz here mite!!

B) As regarding your storage of images Ilko..I myself don't have that many, the only images i have stored are the ones i took of my son & daughters wedding day, and they are on CDs... Do what was suggested to me when i enquired about a bigger hard one, go for a stand alone hard drive... at least that way you can unplug it when you have finished..

you're probably right on that one bip..

I reckon I'm going to get an external hard drive caddy, they're only £25, and they enable the swapping of any amount of hard drives quite easily.

once the photo's have been stored on the hard drive you could then put it somewhere secure..

the only question is... do unused hard drives retain their data indefinitely, or do they too suffer from deterioration.. ?

ilko..

External Hard Drives retain their information for a lot longer than Discs of any description. The information stored has to last at least 7years for IR usage when they use them to gather information.

A :P