• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have a book called "Victorian Nottingham by Micheal Payne whose grandfather, Edwin Gordon took quite a few photos around nottingham between 1890 and 1912 its been somewhere in the spare room not l

No idea where now but somewhere on the net you can view the official drawings of the gcr route showing every bridge cutting station etc with location in miles from London through Notts etc, thinking

www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planIndex.php

There were plenty of bombs hit Lady Bay, but not so many in the rest of Bridgford, I wondered if it might have been a hit and run raider that got lost and tried for the railway bridge. The damage was blast damage rather than a direct hit.

I've seen the map of bomb sites of the Nottingham blitz, and it misses sites in Trent Fields and Lady Bay that were still visible in the 50's.

The map does not show any bombs on Trent Boulevard. Several houses were destroyed west of the shops near the school, there are are 4 or 5 'new' houses there now. IIRC there was a bombed out house on the corner of Gertrude Road and Trent Boulevard. There was a badly damaged house west of the school. I think a stick of bombs fell on the south side of the Boulevard, as all the damage was to that side.

There were 2 bomb craters near Pinders Pond, bottom right of the map, probably 12 foot deep 20 foot diameter, 12 years ago I had a look and there was just one shallow depression there.

As I mentioned when this pictture was first posted , I have seen a larger one somewhere that covers the area to the West (Radford/ Lenton) where they had tried to bomb "The Raleigh" amongst others, but I don't recall if there were any more craters to the south on it.

Imagine bridges over rivers were prime targets? looks like they hit the line in several places, one assumes they went for the railways, they did hit the railway bridge over the LMS near Colwick 44 bus terminus, but not sure bombing the former Nottingham Suburban would damage the war effort a deal!

Hardly have affected commuters seeing as how it had closed to passengers in the 30s !!.................. slywink

Found these links whilst trying to verify the date of closure

http://www.leverton.org/tunnels/nottingham/index.html

and this ones a cracker !!!!!!!!!

http://www.nottinghamsuburbanrailway.co.uk/

But don't search it for too long !

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things we or at least I forget about is where the was a bridge there was an embankment, often 2 as in this case, think if you lived in the area you recall that but if just seen on your travels just remember just the bridge? though post Beeching era often the opposite true? we saw sometimes walked on embankments with no idea of type of bridge that crossed the road river or another railway?

It is indeed Melton Road. The bowling green/tennis courts have survived, and the embankment on the right has also survived as a footpath - right down to Boundary Road. The (former) embankment on the left has disappeared and is now an old peoples' sheltered complex

slightly off topic, but as i passed the railway bridge that goes over the a52 near Radcliffe on Trent, yesterday they were lifting the track and sleepers in large sections, using a rail mounted crane. Anybody know what is being planned

I guess you're referring to the line to Cotgrave Colliery. (I'm sure Ashley will know more about it). I guess it hasn't seen any trains since the pit closed in the 90s, so it's surprising it has survived this long.

The branch line only had a working life of about 20 years, but it included a fairly spectacular viaduct between the river and the A52.

cot.jpg

Re the A52 bridge that pit line is going to become part of a country walkway and maybe cycle track, for years it had been rumoured that such was earmarked as the route of a new road from a new bridge over the trent to an island roughly where said bridge is, whether the bridge is to remain as part of the new plans I'm not sure? probably, would be hell of a risk putting a zebra crossing there! That still there viaduct looks better in photo than real life, not derelict or anything but being mostly pre cast concrete looks very temporary and flimsy, obviously not as it's lasted years. I posted somewhere on here that I heard that some years back when The Queen visited Nottingham the royal train was parked up on that line with lizzie and phil kipping overnight in their coach which was actually on the bridge as easy to guard against terrorist attack, seem to recall someone here confirmed this was true

Re the A52 bridge that pit line is going to become part of a country walkway and maybe cycle track, for years it had been rumoured that such was earmarked as the route of a new road from a new bridge over the trent to an island roughly where said bridge is, whether the bridge is to remain as part of the new plans I'm not sure? probably, would be hell of a risk putting a zebra crossing there! That still there viaduct looks better in photo than real life, not derelict or anything but being mostly pre cast concrete looks very temporary and flimsy, obviously not as it's lasted years. I posted somewhere on here that I heard that some years back when The Queen visited Nottingham the royal train was parked up on that line with lizzie and phil kipping overnight in their coach which was actually on the bridge as easy to guard against terrorist attack, seem to recall someone here confirmed this was true

Remember that line being built (late 50s-early 60) as we had the dog kennels (now the RSPCA) at the junction of the A52 and old Nottingham Road. Watched the embankment grow daily in the fields behind us and it cut off all the views across the fields to the west eventually. The farmer who owned the land whose name I forget (began with B???) but was a big name in Radcliffe was compensated but apparently was unhappy with his farm being cut in half although the top of the embankment was great for shooting rabbits.

There was an old gravel quarry on the Cotgrave side of Nottingham Road where they got a lot of the material to build the embankments.

Never saw the tracks laid as we sold it to the RSPCA before that happened. Looking at it now, glad my parents made the move. Used to enjoy trainspotting as a kid but...! Good to see it is now going to be put to a more friendly use as a walking trail.

Anybody out there from those days in Radcliffe that remember the old Rec, learning the twist at the British Legion, the picture shows at the old theatre across from the Church which also was used for an annexe to the Infant School, the fish and chip shop just up from the newsagents in Shelford Road, the riding school in Cliffe Drive, New Street when it was a dirt Road???

Love to hear from you.

Can anybody confirm what year that bridge was built please? I have a vague recollection of it opening , but for me to remember it , it would have to have happened post '65ish !

I may have been able to remember it from '64, as we always used to get the train to Radcliffe to go fishing , even as tots , so it may be logged into the memory banks from that far back !!

Can anybody confirm what year that bridge was built please? I have a vague recollection of it opening , but for me to remember it , it would have to have happened post '65ish !

The railway embankments were definitely in place by the time we left and there were no lines or trains running at that stage. I checked the RSPCA Radcliffe website and their History advises they bought it from my parents in 62 (Think it was more like late 61 but my memory is 50 years old). Checks of the websites re Cotgrave Colliery indicate the viaducts were constructed in the 60s and there is a photo of a train from the colliery on top of the embankment in 68.

I have spent some time on the internet while you have slept and after finding umpteen websites connected with Cotgrave Colliery and the branch line, I have formed the opinion that some have their dates out of whack.

1. Branch Line Viaducts constructed 50s - 60s...........................I do not remember the viaducts in my time.

2. Cotgrave Pit opened 50s - 62............................Most likely opened but production dates and actual coal freighted out probably mid 60s.

3. http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/ld-cotgrave-application.pdf ......Indicates line opened in 1966.

I will keep on searching for the construction date of your bridge over the A52 but I cant remember it prior to 62. I would venture to guess that the embankments were constructed first as a lot of earthworks went into their construction. They were a fair height and as I said, blocked our view from the upstairs bedroom window of the view over the fields.

I would say that the bridge would have been constructed some time in 62-63.

Thanks for your research there Trevor, I think going on your info, and my memory we can acertain it was probably built around 64/ 64 .

I just have this vague recolection of my Mum and Dad showing it to me as we were on our way fishing one day.

Here is a link to a photo of the viaduct, dated october 1964, it was certainly an impressive structure, I cant remember seeing it or reading anything about it being demolished.

I was at Cotgrave whilst it was being demolished for a few weeks, it was a shame, but every where you looked there was good machinery and spare parts all in good condition, just being left for scrap. I went to the top of the towers, and there was even a spare electric motor, for the winding gear ready at the top in case it was needed the motor weighed over 18 tonnes, and came down when they blew the towers.http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10442854&screenwidth=1263

cotgraveviaduct.jpg

This is the image Taxi Ray sent in, dated 1964, thhe old mainline is seen behind the new Cotgrave branch,

As regards what came first bridge or embankment, you'd think the latter? but in GCR album of building the line through Notts theres many a bridge shown completed in empty fields etc and no sign of embankments, maybe it was easier to perfectly get the bridge in place then align embankments to such? odd few feet on an embankment wouldn't make a deal of difference? whereas a bridge could be critical