Nottingham Scrap dealers Tricketts etc.

Reply moved from another thread

BLACK OVER BILL MOTHERS (MOVVERS)

Another version of where this saying came from and as far as I am aware, it is fairly local saying, was this.

A man by the name of Bill Trickett had a scrap buisness on Trent Lane, Snienton. Hence there is a playground/park named after him, that stands on the site of his yard and his house.

Every so often, he would burn off, what I would imagine in those days was, rubber insulation from around copper wire etc.

This of course sent swales of thick black smoke in to the air. This caused this ritual to be adopted by the locals, to describe black rain clouds and has stuck ever since.

True, I do not know but sounds good

Welcome Andy.

I like that explaination for the term.

Wasnt it Trickets Bungalow that sat at the top of the Oakdale Road, next to The Elwys?

Or am I thinking of another Scrap dealer?

Talkng of The Elwys, With your Carlton connections, you might know Member jan kononowicz he was the landlord there ?

I think is was known as "The Ranch" to locals. It's still there if you have a look at Google Earth.

Does anyone remember when a pet bear escaped from The Ranch? The plods had to be called in to shoot the poor creature.

I don't recall that particular landlord Mick.

As for Trickett's living at the top of Oakdale, you could well be right, I think in their day, they were like the Pownall's, everywhere.

Pownalls kept a pet bear in a cage. They went away on holiday and forgot to make any arrangements for the animal to be fed. So inevitably one angry and very hungry bear kicks up a fuss and the owners are nowhere are to be found. The neighbours called the police; who had no option but to shoot the poor creature.

I have childhood memories of one of Pownall's collection points. I cannot call it a scrap yard, as I only remember it as a place where you took clothing/material etc and getting a couple of Pennies for it.

It was situated on Alfreton Road, virtually opposite the Forest Road junction, to the right of the alleyway that is there now, that leads to the flats, that were not there in those days of course.

I also recall a Rag and Bone man, who used to walk down the Avenue in Radford where I lived, on a Saturday morning with his wheel barrow, shouting `Ragbone` It was a novelty for me as a kid, to go out with whatever rags/old clothes we had (I normally had to take them off first) and he too would give you a few `Coppers` for what you had. (No I didn't bump in to Charles Dickens on the way out of the house, before anyone asks)

I used to go to Pownalls on Alfreton Road for old pram wheels to build trollies with.Every kid in those days used to build them.Didn't have drills in those days so we used to make holes in the wood with a red hot poker out of the kitchen fire.

There was a place in the meadows on Bruce Grove. When the jumble sales were finished we used to take any leftover clothes there and get a few bob. Can't remember who owned the place though.