Can anyone identify this flower

A mystery flower appeared in the garden yesterday, we spread a few wild flower seeds around last year and all sorts of odds and sods have turned up, but this one has stumped us. We think it's a Day Lily as it just appeared for one day yesterday and has now shriveled up this morning, thing is, we can't find anything on the net that looks like it. Alternatively, it may be an orchid, but, ???? though we had bee orchids that mysteriously appeared in our last garden.

It's quite big, about 75mm across and the bees and hoverflies love it, another one is about to come out in the next day or so as well.

Anyone any ideas, it's a magnificent flower.

DayLily001.jpg

If it is a daylilly, it's nothing like any I've seen before. I've grown daylillies over the years and they grow wild on my property, escapes from a garden that used to be near the old house on this property. The flower stems are over three feet long and "leaves" are just under that. Day lillies form clusters of flowers from the same stem, each flower lasts a couple of days, usually one day though depending on how wet the soil is. It's a pretty flower, but can't help you, never seen one like that before.

Found it!!

It's a Mexican Tiger Flower or Tigridia Pavonia. Developed by the Aztecs 1000 years ago and grown mainly for it's edible roots or Cacomtl as they called it, I wonder what these edible roots do to your brain, I don't inend to find out, mines addled as it is.

How it's suddenly appeared in the garden is anyones guess, sadly the next flower has appeared today and the weather is cr@p, the rain has beaten it down, but I've managed to support it with a small split cane, thats really sad.

Amazing! I was on the way to see the Harry Potter film,when I passed a shop selling bulbs of `Tigridia pavonia (Jockeys Cap, Tiger Flower' )in the window! Just arrived home to post the result to find I have been beaten to the post by Jockey`s Cap.

Looks like a midget triffid! Better watch out next year when they grow to 6ft tall!

Thats alright, I'm sure I can talk to it and put it's triffid semi-consciousness at peace with the world, my main concern is Fynger climbing over the fence and digging up the roots!!!!

Nice one Stan, it was someone at my missus' workplace that discovered it and told her about it this morning.

Incidentally, whats the new Harry Potter film like, I do like that particular book, have they made a good job of interpreting it properly. The final book is the worst of the lot, in my opinion and in reality everyone else I know thats read it. I think that JK got a bit carried away with it and couldn't get her thoughts out of her head properly, she obviously wanted to go out with a big bang and it hasn't worked. We think that they should get Terry Gilliam to direct it and sort it out a bit, it's possibly one of those rare situations where a good director will improve on the original book when they transcribe it on to film, it needs to be awe inspiring.