Another Railway Picture Quiz

Brilliant reply Rob, thing is, the 8F in the picture is 48201, I thought the one in the John Axon incident was 48188, I've been trying to download the song from the BBC website, but it don't want to know, this is the best I can do:-

orig_balladjohnaxon70.jpg

Incidentally, this was supposed to have been the last steam loco to be sent out for service from the shed, it seemed to have been an unpublicised incident as I don't recall many people being there that day, I haven't a clue how we found out about it, though my old man did have contacts within the railway network. I gather that Kirkby was the last steam shed in the East Midlands with a large allocation on it's demise.

Your turn!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowmoor Road Shed should have been shut down pre 1964, my mate would then perhaps have not crashed into the fence around such on my 500cc triumph I lent him! talk about a write off, I don't think there was one part of it that wasn't damaged

That was Kings Cross, and the Hogwarts Express was pulled by a Hall. looks like I shouldn't have bothered.

No you are wrong - Hogsmeade is the station at Hogwarts!

And lighten up a little!

...the 8F in the picture is 48201, I thought the one in the John Axon incident was 48188...

It was indeed...my mistake.

For some unfathomable reason, I've always thought 48204 was the Axon loco - which I read instead of 48201!

Reckon 48204 was the Kings Norton runaway loco? Hang on, knock on door...two men with a net :crazy:

Excellent revamped 48188 piccie...worthy of our Walter Winsford FRPS.

Unable to reciprocate with a picture, as Photobucket is way beyond my skill level.

So I'll pose a 'Google barred' question:

Which MP for Howdenshire, from 1926 to 1947, had his name bestowed on a loco?

Cheers

Robt P.

No you are wrong - Hogsmeade is the station at Hogwarts!

And lighten up a little!

I apologise my friend, you're quite right. So join the quiz and tell me where I took these pictures, a relatively recent event at an important UK railway centre:-

scan0030-2.jpg

scan0031-3.jpg

Thats my brother with the rucksack by the way, and our Lewis, who was so frightened of the implications of getting in to the cab of Hogwarts Castle, that he refused to do it.

Incidentally, buy the Hornby model of Hogwarts Castle and it's a re-modelled GWR Castle class, not the right thing at all.

The first loco to be painted up as Hogwarts Castle was in fact a Southern Railway rebuilt WC Pacific, Taw Valley, it was dismissed as being too modern by the producer of the first film and rejected. I happened to be at Loughborough when Taw Valley was revealed in it's film colours, trouble is, those pictures are locked into an old computer, help.

I have no idea, but I do have the Hornby model!

A few years back Mary and I visited the North Yorks Moors railway - and travelled to Goathland - the station used as Hogsmeade in the movies. NYM is a great experience by the way.

Off topic, but your topic so will tell of the accident, had sold an old BSA 250 (0-60 in 2 hours) to that mate and this particular sunday he had arranged to go to kirkby with someone who was buying a car there, typically it broke down so he took the triumph, after buying the car on some street off Long Moor Road he couldn't kick start it so jumped it, took a handful of throttle and off it shot dragging him along side, he let go and it carried on! across the T junction hit the kerb, took off, somersaulted through the fence and bounced across the lines! all Alan got was grazed legs. Not comparable with todays superbikes it was never the less a fast bike, a 1950's Tiger 100, top end I saw 100 on it down hill, it did not compare to my later bonneville or CB750 but the smoothest bike I ever rode, maybe it was me being used to the 250 C11G but nothing else seemed to accelerate like that

Ayup Pete,

In your picture No 24 what is the name of the brickyard in the background possibly Barrow Hill? it just bought back some memories of my time in a brickyard in Nottingham, good to see a Hoffman kiln again after all these years

Rog

Plantfit

Would the Hoffman Kiln at Barrow Hill have been specifically built to make bricks to line the blast furnaces at the old iron works, I would assume that with the high temperatures involved that the linings would have to be replaced pretty regularly.

Limey

The NYM is indeed spectacular, it rescued me from a terrible holiday once. I booked a holiday cottage for a week in the Moors and was 'persuaded' to take the ex-in laws with us, all they did was moan and whinge and contributed greatly to the eventual break up of the marriage. Whatever you tried to do with them, it was wrong, couldn't drive anywhere as they got bored, couldn't walk anywhere as it was a problem, didn't want to see anything interesting, just shops. After a massive row in Whitby when I had to walk off and leave them otherwise I'd be still doing time for murder, I came up with the idea of having a ride on the railway. No way, who wants to travel on a bloody steam train. Eventually I drove to Pickering and chucked them in a carriage, they loved it, the journey, the comfort, the scenery, even the cup of tea at Grosmont, I was able to hang out of the window all the way and avoid them as well, a year later and I was able to more or less avoid them forever, thats arrogant Yorkies for you.

A few more clues as to the whereabouts of the Hogwarts Castle picture, these might get you even more confused.

scan0032-2.jpg

scan0033-2.jpg

scan0034-2.jpg

Taken within the last 5 years by the way.

Good one Littlebro, never thought of getting to it that way, it's William Henton Carver int it.

Now tell us what Strang Steel was all about.

Sir Samuel Strang Steel, 1st Baronet (1 August 1882 – 14 August 1961) was another Conservative Party politician, they seem to represent constituencies along the ECML

If I cannot use Google, I will have to dig out my abc books!

The particular abc page that you picture is all you need...

Cheers

Robt P.

Bill Carver it is...well done.

B1 nameplate criteria was based on being a regional director of the LNER, or an antelope!

Carver was also an LNER director, as were all the others.

Didn't really relate to being an MP, merely incidental.

Cheers

Robt P.

I'd assume the latter...

Pete Swingler's excellent book 'Power of the B1's' illustrates many of these directors, at their respective naming ceremonies...and a more arrogant, supercillious looking bunch, you'd be pushed to find!

Cheers

Robt P.

A sign of the times Rob, all those old railway directors and their CME's were a very formal bunch. I recall recently looking at a photograph of the official opening of the Rugby Testing Plant which was in early BR days in 1948. All the old CME's were invited, Stanier, Bullied, Riddles etc and they all looked like they were still living in the mid 19th century, the only bloke that looked different was Andre Chapelon from the SNCF.

I wonder if Brush still employ a CME, and if they do, does he wear a tweed suit, bowler hat and have a stick with 'an 'orses 'ed 'andle.

Apparently, Gresley was regarded as something of a tyrant at Doncaster...

Any junior engineer who crossed him soon had his career in shreds.

Edward Thompson gets a very 'bad press' - primarily because of his anti-Gresley stance - but seems that he was far more amenable than his predecessor.

My impression is that one of the most popular CME's was Swindon's George Jackson Churchward...

Question 17: How did he die?

Cheers

Robt P.

Killed by a member of Collets Castle Class near Swindon, while unofficially inspecting the track.

Please don't ask me which one.

Oi, what happened to MY quiz.