Another Railway Picture Quiz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogsmeade station? :)

Well done, that was obviously too easy, does anyone else want to pose a question.

Incidentally, does anyone recall that occasion, I haven't a clue what the event was all about, closure of the original shed perhaps, I just have these pictures taken with an Instamatic. I think that we must have stumbled apon it by accident, it was in the middle of our wierd student days, I won't mention the names of my co-conspiritors for reasons of protection of currently honest citizens, I have this memory of us arriving on site in a cloud of illegal smoke, to put it mildly, 'Steam trains, Cool Man'..........................

Off the top of me head, weren't the Claytons initially designed and built in Uttoxeter, and when they came out there were problems and were stored all over the place till the issues, whatever they were, got resolved.

I can remember a line of them at Langwith Shed, but it ain't there, looks like Derby to me, would the picture have been taken from what is now the Pride Park area.

Yes, They are Clayton Type 1, parked up at Derby around 1963/4 I think. They were built in Hatton. The now Pride Park gas holders are in the back of the image.

Judging by the white cabs they were new. They did have engine mount issues. See Wiki page.

Later called Class 17 & withdrawn by BR less than 10 years old.

Just for the record, I found another photo of that Barrow Hill event, it's dated September 1972:-

scan0028-2.jpg

Some interesting early 70's fashions there, though the real railway nutters still wear suits and ties to this day, I recall being treated with utter contempt by some of these people during an A-4 high speed run up to Ely, it wasn't kosher to wear a Homer Simpson T shirt, striped shorts and have a bag full of Wadworths 6X, let alone to confessing that my last trip behind an A-4 was down Stoke Bank in 1960, it was a hot day, they suffered, I didn't.

Another quiz question.

I took this typical scene of an 8F being prepared for duty at a Notts shed, 3rd October 1966:-

scan0029-3.jpg

Thing is, which shed is it and what was the significance of the date and the loco in the picture.

Kirkby (16B)...Lowmoor Road provides the backdrop, on closure day.

Bet you don't know that its the same 8F that featured in the Chapel-en-le-Frith runaway, of some years earlier.

As immortalised by Ewan MaColl in his "The Ballad of John Axon"...

Cheers

Robt P.