Dr Who in Wollaton Park, did he arrive in the Tardis though.

A mention earlier of Doctor Who made me recall this incident, does anyone else remember it, I've tried Googling and can't find anything.

During the early 70's Nottingham lashed out money on their festival. They had a Hot Air Balloon Festival on Wollaton Park, I think in 1972. Dr Who was to be the special guest, well we presumed it would just be the actor Jon Pertwee, not a bit of it. The balloons were being launched on the hill between the Hall and the Lake. I recall Pertwee, dressed in his full Dr Who regalia, complete with cloak, driving out of the stables arch in the special car WHO 1, with his assistant, Sarah Jane, Elizabeth Sladen, all dressed up too, and I'm sure K1 was in the back.

He wandered about being the Doctor, not himself, it was fantastic, he was a lovely man and very approachable, he even kept peering at his sonic screwdriver. At one point, one of the balloons got very restive and I had to jump over the rope to help them hold it down, so did the Doctor, we both stood together trying to stop this thing flying away, he was supposed to be in the basket, but I don't think it actually happened, neither of us could stop laughing and were pretty useless in our attempts at holding this thing down.

I think that he and Sarah Jane did eventually float away into the sunset, but I really can't be sure, I took some colour slides of the event, but they are in the loft somewhere, I remember when we were trying to hold down this lively balloon that I was just aiming the camera when I could and got some shots off.

Trouble is, I don't recall finding the Tardis, it wasn't in the stable courtyard, so how did he get there.

I seem to remember Jon Pertwee appearing at the Nottingham Theatre Royal in 1972, it could have been the Panto.

This event was during the summer, probably July time, I wonder what that panto was all about, Sleeping Beauty awoken by a Timelord perhaps, he wouldn't have noticed the hibernation, what was the point, jump in the Tardis and you don't have to hang around for a few years.

I'll have to dig out those slides Fynger, I could have captured you climbing into the basket, I'm sure you looked the same!!

They used to have a Jousting Tourney and a proper showjumping Gymkana featuring, Harvey 'V' Smith, David Broome, Anley Drummond Hayes, Captain Raymondo D'Inzeo and all the other famous ones around at the time.

I remember once, as we were going on the 'good old 39' from Carlton Square to Wollaton Park for the balloons, one of the balloons called "Tar Baby", crashed at the bottom of Carlton Road opposite Manvers school on the little piece of grass there!!! IMMSC it was piloted by a TV weather man named "George Luce"

I seem to remember Jon Pertwee appearing at the Nottingham Theatre Royal in 1972, it could have been the Panto.

That would have been the time my ex and I were waiting for a bus in Market Square, she nudged me and said look over there isn't that Jon Pertwee. I looked at the empty taxi rank and sure enough it was he. Nobody else had spotted him but us, I decided to leave him in peace, he nodded to me as if saying thanks!

I remember going to Wollo park possibly 70's to a free pop Concert.

Desmond Dekkar was the star that day.

I can't remember that one. I went to see the Pogues in the 90's, they were in a marquee near the lake. To recall, Shane Magowan had been chucked out of the band and it may have been Joe Strummer singing in his place. The atmosphere was not good, I had taken my then little boy along and he sat on my shoulders, there were arguments and fights and my brother and our hard looking friend Steve had to sort out a few people around us, it wasn't very enjoyable, my kid loved every minute of it though.

We used to go for the big "Music and Fireworks Spectacular" which was on the lake itself!! The orchestra playing (Quite appropriately, ) " Handels water music" and "Music for the Royal fireworks" , finishing off with the 1812 overture to the accompaniment of the 'musket and cannon of the Sealed Knot'........ Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

I remember that, it was great, I recall a performance of the 1812 Overture and various cannons being lined up in front of the Hall, their detonation shook the ground, must have over done it with the black powder I reckon.

• 4 weeks later...