Bring back BR!

I recall standing on the left hand side of the 'train bridge' down the black path one evening, waiting for the 'arf fiver' when the train suddenly appeared in the distance and we all looked at one another and said, 'Can't be right, it's a 9F'. Along it came and it was a Brit, first one we ever saw on the Wollaton line, probably the eventual regular 'Tennyson', it certainly made our day, not that anyone else believed us when we told them.

Several of them later became Midland regulars when a large batch, including the Southern pair 70004/14 and the Scottish set 70050-54, were transferred to Trafford Park and Kentish Town.

Cheers

Robt P.

I believe that 70004/14 were also the only ones ever allocated to the Southern Region, as a misguided and unpopular plan to employ them on the Golden Arrow, which was possibly a wierd political scheme to promote 'modern' British technology to the European ferry travellers over those odd Bullied thingy's, no wonder OV dissapeared off to Ireland.

70014 Iron Duke in happier days on a boat train out of Victoria:

mm_70014.jpg

Then when I last saw it in a bad state at Annesley, though I gather it lasted another 5 years after that:

scan0034-4.jpg

I gather it retained the fixing bolts on the smoke deflectors for the special 'Golden Arrows' right up until the end.

If you think about it, an unusual choice of locomotive for French boat trains, named after the man who defeated Napoleon, somebody high up in BR must have had a sense of humour.

Rob

I found this great picture on the net, I presume it's Stewarts Lane, lets not forget that both were regular Nottingham vistors in the late 50's early 60's, the Dukes residency at Annesley for about a year I think:

brit.jpg

It would appear that '04 retained it's deflector handrails to the end, I don't know about the arrow bolts though.

I found some mysterious colour pictures of the Duke running on the Golden Arrow with handrail free deflectors, I suspect that what they are though are relatively recent pictures of preserved 'Britannia' running with a name and number change, very confusing, but the operators like to do that sort of thing occasionally.

Just noticed, Duke has'nt got a steam heat hose fitted to the front on this picture, but in the previous one it has!!!

Signed immediately, although couldn't see any reference to the reintroduction of steam or the reopening of New Basford :Fool:

Cheers

Robt P.

When I was a small kid, my mum would take me down Haydn Rd to catch the train into town to Victoria station, and the driver and his mate would very often allow me to stand alongside them, was it referred to as the footplate?

When I was a small kid, my mum would take me down Haydn Rd to catch the train into town to Victoria station, and the driver and his mate would very often allow me to stand alongside them, was it referred to as the footplate?

I can't work out which station that would be Craig, the nearest to Haydn Road was Carrington, which was closed well before the war, and I'm sure that you're not that old!!

So did you actually travel on the footplate into Vic then, what an experience for a kid, it must have been horrendous going through those smokey tunnels, weren't you scared.

Might be me but from what I can see the map is wrong, has Bulwell Hall Halt on The GNR Basford Nrth to Derby line not The GCR, plus Radford missing on the MR route, in fact only Carrington and Pilsley on GCR named (New Basford "Haydn Rd" is dot above Carrington)

Reckon the alleged rail experts are all wrong, and that Craig & den are more accurate.

Both clearly mean New Basford, accessed from Haydn Road...

Which idiot suggested Perry Road???

Cheers

Robt P.

Which idiot suggested Perry Road???

Ummmm....... Oh, never mind! yada.gif

Did anybody see Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journey's last night, did you notice the 'slight' continuity problem.

Michael arrives at Paignton and chats to the footplate crew on GWR 2-8-0 tank 4277, the train leaves Paignton and it's suddenly a Hall Class 4-6-0, however, magically, as the helicopter camera follows the train along the coast, it's become a King Class hauling crimson carriages. But, not all is lost, as the train is about to dissapear into the tunnel, it's back to 4277, then it emerges out the other end as a GWR Pannier tank double heading with a 2-6-2 tank, but don't worry, our King is restored as it pulls into Kingswear Station when our Michael then steps of a carriage that has miraculously changed colour from crimson to chocolate and cream as it moved along the platform.

On the other days programme the Devon holiday trains seemed to be happily running out of Paddington behind LMS Royal Scot locomotives hauling their company carriages, clearly a little known fact.

Don't be so lazy and cheapskate BBC, we pay your licence fees.

Not everything is immune, I watched again that great Nottingham DVD that Fynger gave me the other day and hadn't noticed before that the train allegedly pulling into Midland Station was in fact a GWR Castle class, how did they manage to get that one wrong, no it wasn't Clun Castle on it's travels in 1965.

Back to our Michael, the best moment was the sandwich bar youth from Slovakia, a fan of Brunel, magic, loved it.

I'm really enjoying this series and warming to Mr Portillo (although I was a bit of a fan before) at least we are getting a variety of steam loco's, I also think he is beginning to lighten up a bit and look a bit more relaxed among us common folk.

Carry on Michael

Rog

Just watched it tonight and I find it freakishly adictive. Ofcourse SWMBO and I were watching a bit closer tonight as he was in 'our' part of Cornwall!!

The Lost Gardens of Heligan and Eden project are both worth a visit if anybody ever finds themselves down there!! and as for real fresh 'Cornish Sardines' MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

I did like the idea of staying in that former mail carriage at St Germans for a night or two , but the landlady ?????

Sorry not a steam loco but best view I could find showing position of New Basford station in relation to Haydyn Road, the advertising board behind the Anderson Shelter to right of up line is on the road, and houses in distance are on Perry RoadNTGM006961.jpg

I did like the idea of staying in that former mail carriage at St Germans for a night or two , but the landlady ?????

If you're interested in camping coaches Beefsteak, this was what happened to the Pullmans that were once based at Marazion:

http://www.urban75.org/railway/marazion.html

The other large fleet of coaches I recall on holiday trips down to Devon were based in Dawlish Warren, I recall that they were only available to employees of the GWR and later BR. It looks like the tatty old GWR carriages have now been replaced by BR Mk1's and are available to the public:

http://www.dawlishwarren.info/railwaycarriages.php

The other coaches I had memories of were based at Blue Anchor in Somerset, we stayed in a chalet nearby in 1956 and it looks like the same one's are still there and in use next to the WSR, I've never found out who owns them, probably something to do with the steam railway.

• 2 years later...

There are two 1st class BR MkIIs at Rogart Station converted to camping coaches but retaining many of their compartments and original upholstery. They are available to hire per bunk or complete coach. Discount available if you arrive by train.