A trivia quiz thread

Firth of Forth , Scotland

It's the biggest Gannet colony in the world, Neil Oliver tried (unsuccessfully) three times to get ashore in the BBC2 series "Coast"

Yes indeed Beefy, well done. It's the big volcanic plug that greets you from the Forth when driving up the A1 to Edinburgh.

Your go.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to put a picture on but my scanner's gone AWOL again, so how about,

Whos' money was used to design and build the memorial gardens on The Embankment??

Jesse Boot?

Yup , Limey has it , over the pond to Eric. (It doesn't have to be a Nott'm question)

O.K. - This one might not tax your brains, but it might bring out some prejudices!

We have all (probably) heard of, or even taken a sip (or two) of a beer now brewed by Greene King called "Old Speckled Hen" - often referred to simply as "OSH" - the question is, what does the name refer to, and why is it speckled?

No, sorry Rob - but it is automobile related!

Ummm, err - blush.gif yes, you could say that!

O.K. - This one might not tax your brains, but it might bring out some prejudices!

We have all (probably) heard of, or even taken a sip (or two) of a beer now brewed by Greene King called "Old Speckled Hen" - often referred to simply as "OSH" - the question is, what does the name refer to, and why is it speckled?

Original Phrase was 'old speckled 'un', but the beer was brewed to comemorate the 50th Anniversary of the MG car.... !cheers! ........

Half a point, Paulus - but what, specifically, was the "Old Speckled Un", and why was it speckled?

Half a point, Paulus - but what, specifically, was the "Old Speckled Un", and why was it speckled?

I'll try for the other 'alf..........it referred to an old 'runaround' canvas covered car, used around the MG factory, over the years of use it got 'speckled' with paint/oil spots as it trundled around various workshops & production sheds.......hence the nickname 'owd speckled 'un.............. !cheers!

!bravo!

I recall the MG car in question was the factory run-about and was splashed (or speckled) in paint from the paint shop.

Bu**er !! beat me to it.............. !rotfl!

Well done littlebro! Now its your turn!

Some of us are allowed to be clever you know!! (Mind you I didn't have a clue on that one!!)