Hi, just wanted to introduce myself, being a new member.

My name is Sue, I was born in 1949, in Waverley Terrace, off Goldsmith Street, just 5mins walk from town centre. Near the Arboretum. I really loved it there, and left when I got married in 1969, soon after that (mid to late 70's I think) the street was demolished and a car park took its place, now though, there's an Hotel. I have happy memories of the time and can remember the neighbours well. There was a sweet shop opposite the end of the terrace, Hensons, myself and my brothers used to go and buy halfpenny mixes (old money) used to get a lot for the money too! Among the houses on Goldsmith Street were a guest house and Woollers farm, Belgrave Square, my mum used to save all the vegetable waste to give to Mr Wooler to feed his pigs and chickens. I can't remember who owned the guest house but I used to go there regularly and just sit in the dining room doing jigsaw puzzles, when I got fed up i'd go home. I can also remember when the milkman used to have a horse drawn float.

My mum used to work at both the old Nottingham Playhouse on the corner of Talbot street and the Gaumont cinema. A regular visitor to the playhouse was Harry Wheatcroft, he used to bring my mum a rose every time he attended. I think I may be getting boring so i'll say bye for now.

Sue

Not boring, Sue! Really interesting!

When I was at school we used to be taken to the Arboretum for lunchtime break so we might have spotted one another!

I remember the old Playhouse very well. I remember being taken there from school to see a production of Henry V. All I remember of that was a leek that got squashed on the stage and smelled the theatre out - to our great delight. What little philistines we were.

I used to vaguely know Harry Wheatcroft`s daughter in law. I remember when she was asked once what her husband did she said, 'Oh, he`s on the land.' as if he were a farm labourer.

Anyway, nice to hear from you, Sue.

Eileen

Was Matlock St somewhere there? once bought a rust bucket motorbike from guy off there, think he had one leg, he used to hang about round the registry office and make out he was official photographer for weddings etc, Just reread your post and realise you were the other end of Goldsmith St, remember that sweet shop as had a mate Bill Jenkins live across from it

We were taken to the old Playhouse too, in senior school, to see Macbeth. It put me off Shakespeare for life! Loved going to the Arboretum though as a kid, to see and talk to Cocky the Cockatoo, was always a 'must'. I remember bands playing on the bandstand on a Sunday. My dad went to the School of Art in that area.

In 1996, guess who was 'Mine Host' at the boozer which the old 'playhouse' was converted into?? (Tivolis')

Went to the playhouse to see Merchant Of Venice when aged about 14? school trip, can't imagine a more stupid trip but it got us out of stalag for an afternoon so signed up, Teachers at our school had some daft idea's and delusions of granduer, am sure they expected us (all 11 plus failures) to go on to be some right eggheads,

Much preferred next time I went in there (as Tivoli's) when son's band played there (God they were loud and heavy!) inbetween it's time as a theatre and opening as a pub it was a depot for awhile for some pay on the weekly supply company, think called Blundall's? Anyway found this old pic, no idea if same day I went

LittleTheatre.jpg

Much preferred next time I went in there (as Tivoli's) when son's band played there (God they were loud and heavy!)

Your son is/was in a Rock Group at Tivoli? Are they famous yet?