Morris

Boam

Calderwood

Stringfellow

Wagstaffe

Clarke

Curry

Scanlon

Subs: Toon, Bird, Brace, Chapman, MaCaffrey.

Any other offers?

Two other great characters for squad consideration:

Lindy Delaphena

Speciality seemed to be - receiving a pass, getting the ball under control and then setting off in the totally wrong direction...never seen the like, before or since.

Colin Treharne

Comical Cornish Custodian...once saw him hurl the ball into his own net from outside his penalty area.

Ref decined to give the free kick for handling outside the box...simply permitted the 'goal' !rulez!

Pete: Would your nominated Foster be Colin Foster?

If so, I have a tale to tell...

Cheers

Robt P.

Well, I'm very dissapointed with your attitude chaps, it really isn't on, I'm tempted to go for a Derby XI because of this.

I noted Lindy Delaphena on the Field Mill website, I assumed it was a character from 'Prescilla, Queen of the Desert' possibly a former miner from Blidworth Colliery who had a liking for ladies silk underwear, 'Try it on Brian, it's only nylon'.

I recall going to Field Mill in 1967 to watch a County Cup match between Mansfield and Forest at the bequest of a fellow schoolkid who was a big Mansfield fan, we cycled all the way from Wollaton and back for this evening match, we must have been insane, Forest won 3-0, but I think that Stuart Boam kept out the feared Reds attack until after half-time.

C'mon, there must be a Mansfield fan on here to have a go at us!!!

Colin Foster indeed, I only picked players I'd heard of, not for any other reason.

There was a Stags 'arrangement' with Leicester that City would have first option in buying any player that Mansfield were selling. IIRC, this arose as City helped the Stags in the acquisition of the defunct Hurst Park racecourse main stand, for installation at Field Mill. Peter Stringfellow being one of several players to arrive at Filbert Street.

Only when long-time Stags archivist Stan Searle revealed the arrangement, did the FA/FL step in to scupper it - although such deals were known to be in place with other club pairings.

Cheers

Robt P.

Well, I'm very dissapointed with your attitude chaps, it really isn't on

Our proud owner of his new allotment has become an overnight snob! !rotfl!

Cheers

Robt P.

Am I right in thinking that Colin Foster was a Bulwell Lad? Ragdale Rd, or somewhere close to there? Talking of Mansfield and a bit off topic, anyone remember Frank Inger, motorcycle mechanic who raced a Manx Norton, bit of a rogue was our Frank!!

Owdtite.

Yes indeed he was...Ragdale Road precisely...smashing lad, quiet and unassuming - totally at variance with his strong-man soccer image.

My tale related to him playing regular Sunday cricket with us at Paviors - he was no mean batsman either!

I was skippering the Sunday XI, at Belper Meadows, and - as he went in to bat - asked him to run out the slow-coach opener - who was holding up our innings. He rapidly did so with great skill, using the classic call of "Yes!, No!, Hell!, Wait!, Sorry!"

Problem was that, so much did Colin enjoy the task, that he did it again with our two following batsmen...one of which was yours truly :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 year later...

played at the old wembley, actually won too, something like the sherpa van trophy, which one of their fans "six toes" keeps ranting on about as if better than the FA Cup on Mansfaild Town website, as well as winning the trophy they got a free Sherpa 12 seater van which they still use as their away games fans transport

Have they STILL got that ?? It was a rust bucket when I used to deliver there in the early 90s !!!!!