A long weekend in Nottinghamshire

I was posed this question recently when a friend got the train down from Edinburgh to pay us a long-weekend visit. We often have family visitors from Canada and sometimes Scotland and I guess, as well as the old staples, I'm alwyas looking for something interesting and new to do especially for those visitors that have been here multiple times.

What are the 'must-see/do' things in Notts for you? Of course it depends on the visitor and their interests but I think there might be one or two universals. For this visit which began at Newark North Gate Station mid Friday morning, and ended up late afternoon on the Monday back on the platform.

Friday

Drive back the 'pretty way' through some of the pleasant villages between here and Newark. Fiskerton, Epperstone, Woodborough and Lambley etc.

Into the city for lunch at French Living on King Street.

A walk up to the castle and a look over the battlements at the city.

A pint in one of the litte rear bars in The Salutation

A staff tour around the impressive newly-refurbished NTU Newton Building and views over the city again.

Evening

Dinner at The Wagon and Horses, Halam. (Recommended)

Drinks on the way home at The Woodlark, Lambley

Saturday

Notts County v Rotherham, preceded by a pint in The Trent Navigation.

Early evening dinner at the excellent and inexpensive Mayfair Chinese Restaurant on Mansfield Road.

Drinks in The Elizabethan Bar at The Bell Inn.

Drinks at Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem in the upper bar.

Sunday

A walk around Sherwood forest and a visit to The Major Oak.

Teas at Newstead Abbey and a stroll around the Japanese Gardens.

Evening

On-premises made cheap pizza deal at the lovely Reindeer Inn, Hoveringham. (Again, highly recommended)

Monday

Drive to Hucknall to travel most of the full length of the tramway into the city.

Visit The Caves of Nottingham in Broadmarsh Centre.

Lunch at Keanes Head in The Lace Market.

Tram home in time for fond farewell at Newark.

I thought we did pretty well with that itinerary. What are other people's favourites that they like to take people to?

Sounds spot on to me Stu, I must come and visit you sometime,

What about Wollaton hall, Papplewick pump station, galleries of justice, St Mary's in the lace market and look above shop window level in the city for some great architecture

Thanks for the interesting post

Rog

Ha ha, you're welcome Rog!

Some very good further suggestions there. Curiously I must have down the caves at least ten times with various visitors over the years but have never once set foot inside The Galleries of Justice. I hear what a fine visit it is too. Wollaton Hall is a nice one - especially on a nice warm day when the grounds can be made the most of. I suppose for me, Newstead Abbey is much more of a 'playground' as it's about ten minutes easy drive away (or a lovely free walk through it from Papplewick) whilst Wollaton means a drive down the ring road, possibly in congestion. I do love the place though.

Definitely a Tram ride, complete with commentary (I think this is a good idea during certain times of the day, a recorded commentary, picking out points of interest for the tourist, ie the Arbouretum and the Forest etc as it winds it's way along , (Off peak times of course))

A Sunday afternoon at Trent bridge for a Sunday league game maybe. A wander around Holme Peirpoint watersports centre etc. A rowing boat at HighFields.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Last time we took our grandson over to the UK, we did a Robin Hood day for him [it was on the telly over here at the time and he loves it] So we did the Castle, Mortimer's Hole, Sherwood Forest/Major Oak and the visitors centre, and walked round Edwinstowe, which is a quaint village. Went to the church, and the craft centre there. Another trip, we went to the Pumping Station, but it's only open certain days, so check first. We always stay at Bestwood Lodge hotel [best Western] and it's lovely inside, worth going for a drink or dinner.