The New Dr Who, success or failure?

I know some of you are Dr Who fans, Ian!!, so what do you think so far.

We all know that David Tennant was going to be a hard act to follow, but on the evidence after three episodes, it's not just the loss of Tennant and his entourage, it's all about Russell Davis, the writer, and his production team.

Quite frankly I feel sorry for Matt Smith, he's ok, and I like the new assistant, but the production, direction and scripts are absolutely appalling.

The first episode should have been a blinder, it wasn't, the script was terrible and pretty impenetrable yet quite predictable, I was hoping that the Vogons would appear with their plans for the hyperspace highway and give me a laugh.

The second episode about 'Spaceship England' was so full of hammy acting and had such a bad script that I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Episode 3, Daleks v Spitfires, Russell Davis would have had a field day, no chance, it was a waste of a potentially good storyline, it could have been great, but it was'nt, great actors like Bill Patterson, totally mis-directed and poorly scripted.

I spoke to my pal in Norfolk about it yesterday, he's the UK's number one fan, yet thinks we are unlikely to see another series if they are going to be as bad as this.

Our opinion is that they seem to have gone back to seeing it as a childrens programme, it's like watching those 1960's originals complete with dodgey sets, the interior of the Dalek Spacecraft for instance, clearly filmed on the floor of an abandoned office building with strip lighting, cardboard cutouts and lot's of smoke, it's 2010, those days have gone.

So what happens next, I can't see it getting any better, having watched one episode, my missus can't be bothered with it anymore.

As she says, all the original characters were really likeable and were interwoven within the storyline, Tennant, Donna, Rose, Martha, Rose's mum, Bernard Cribbins, The Master, the PM, how can they get all that back, they can't, yes things should move on, but I can't see any evidence of it so far, at the end of the last credits, the dreaded crack in the wall and the Union Flag, I can't wait to see what that's all about, absolutely no subtlety whatsoever.

Yes, I like to say what I think, but I'm not the only one that considers this to be a failure, any thoughts.

I think the new theme tune stinks too!!

Mind you Pete , if they'd spent a fortune on sets (The interior of the Dalek ship for one, which if you'd listened to the story line , you would have understood why it was so rubbishy in there. ) you'd have been bemoaning the fact that they were wasting licence fee payers money !!....LOL

I'll give it a go with the 'Angels' in the next episode (Cause they scared the 541t out of me in that last appearance!!!)

Well its Dr Who....so like always ...yer watches it anyway...moans an all.......Been doing it fer years.....the only time i realy dint watch it was when Sylvester McCoy had a go......Its always been a tongue in cheek kids/adults show.........so yep we'll be watchin again next week......and we're stupider than most as we download it and watch it the followin day.....sad innit.

I take it that you're not so enthusiastic either mate.

I feel so sorry for Matt Smith, he's clearly putting everything into his role, he's had the misfortune of losing a great writer, I hope that Matt doesn't bear the brunt of any media critism that will inevitably come along.

Well its Dr Who....so like always ...yer watches it anyway...moans an all.......Been doing it fer years.....the only time i realy dint watch it was when Sylvester McCoy had a go......Its always been a tongue in cheek kids/adults show.........so yep we'll be watchin again next week......and we're stupider than most as we download it and watch it the followin day.....sad innit.

I agree with what you say, but Davis had managed to get Dr Who to a level which was subtle, clever, acceptable and fun to all spheres, adults, kids, dogs, hamsters, the lot.

Incidentally, it's always repeated on BBC4 Sunday nights.

I quite liked Silvester McCoy, quite quirky.

If that girl would wear seams every episode I'd watch it, then again I've always been a perv! rotfl.gif

That's how much of a perv you are , (She wasn't wearing seams !!!!) ner ner ne ner ner!!!.................LOL

Mind you don't let reality get in the way of your fantasies.....................LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...