Guess where this is

I reckon Picture the Past have cocked up...those pics are Hucknall Road I reckon not Edwards lane.I can't see they would move thousands of tons of stone to create the look of this modern picture.Hucknall Road looks just like those old pics just below Perry road...or would have done before road widening.Is Hucknall road in existence on that old map of yours Cliff Ton??

I've gone back to the map I used for Daybrook, and moved across a bit to Hucknall Road

Interesting that Perry Road at that stage (1900) seems to be not much more than a track.

And I agree the answer could be that Picture the Past have got it wrong. They aren't always perfect, and they can only go on what they are told by whoever provides the pictures

• 1 year later...

NCCC000317.jpg

Just Been looking at this photo, I wonder if this IS mansfield road, onlooking towards arnold and sherwood.. The bridge would be above you nower days & the walls there are sandstone, The roads in the picture shows it going downhill from the sandstoney bit just like mansfield road does as you pass the bridge.. it goes down hill till you get to the ram pub.. That road is also very strait if you think about it.. like in the photo? opinions??

My main point in that thread was that if that was a pic of Edwards Lane then they must have moved a helluva lot of sandstone to widen the road and build the later houses.However I now feel it may just be where they said...in the black and white pic the lodge house near what is now the hospital can be seen in the distance on the left.And in this Google pic you can see that the houses are actually built quite high up on the Sherwood side of Edwards Lane...the handrail on one house shows this.And where the houseowner has cut out a section for parking it's just solid sandstone.So maybe they did remove many tons of stone after all.Proof will come only when an old photo shows up showing Edwards Lane from the opposite direction.

6c2cfbbd.jpg

You could be right, but when thinking about it.. it really does look like mansfield road as apparently it was a very woodlandy area as shown in the pic i quoted. Then again.. ALOT if not most of nottingham was sandstone.. So it could of been anywhere. Although OH has just said hes seen a picture from Mansfield road near the bridge facing towards arnold & said it looks very similar ifnot the same to the one i quoted - So god knows.. Ill have to try and find the picture hes seen before and send it to the thread to compare

Proof will come only when an old photo shows up showing Edwards Lane from the opposite direction.

That's made me realise that I've seen quite a few old photos from the direction of your Streetview picture, but I've never seen one from the other side.

Even this http://www.pictureth...009757&prevUrl= which I hadn't seen before, doesn't help much.

Just Been looking at this photo, I wonder if this IS mansfield road, onlooking towards arnold and sherwood..he roads in the picture shows it going downhill from the sandstoney bit just like mansfield road does as you pass the bridge.. it goes down hill till you get to the ram pub.. That road is also very strait if you think about it.. like in the photo? opinions??

As several people had mentioned earlier, that photo doesn't fit Mansfield Road from the Redhill bridge. From the bridge going southwards, the road makes a considerable long curve to the west. Look on any map or Streetview and the road definitely isn't the straight line shown in the photo.

Further to Cliff Ton's remarks re Arch Hill at Redhill I also doubt that image is of that area. When that cutting was excavated the area at the bottom of the hill would never have been as thickly wooded as there were older buildings there by that time. The guide house stood on the east side of the road and the Three Crowns, a shop and some cottages on the west side. I also think that cutting is too narrow.

Here's a pic, looking north, of the Three Crowns and 'Top Shop' which also clearly shows the bend in the road referred to:

NCCC003344.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC003344&pos=6&action=zoom&id=72173

That picture http://www.pictureth...009757&prevUrl= brings back memories, when working on the building of winchester st flats we had some students came in their holidays for temp labouring jobs, went to party at one of those houses on the left they had rented, a right rave inc "black mass" type of thing in back garden, (well dancing around a sheeps skull they'd found on moors in yorkshire,)

the road looks very peaceful in photo though

back to the topic question, gone back to my earlier guess of hucknall rd nr the prison

In that case i stand corrected.. i seriously thought it looked like from the bridge towards arnold, i never realized the road bends! Hmm.. so now im really wondering where it is, Im starting to think it may be hucknall too!