Guess where this is

Vernon Road?

There is a railway to the left, and if the sun is in the south, the shadows indicate the people are walking to the northwest!

Sorry for the delay. I did it at work in a quiet moment; then work got in the way and I couldn't reply

Edwards Lane it is. Five Ways is just behind the tree on the right, ring-road goes across left to right, and City Hospital would be up ahead

As far as I can work out, this is where you'd be today.

And I know which one I'd prefer to be walking in

ringroad.jpg

I would have said a bit further forward Cliff Ton..The brickwork does look like a bridge over the stream which puts it closer to the present day pub.On old maps that house is marked as 'lodge' It also shows the stream as being a small lake at that point.The area was called Daybrook Vale.With Daybrook Vale Farm a few hundred yards up the road.In the sixties I used to live where the farm was, and the postal address then was just Sherwood.

In 1959 a bungalow was being built next door and they uncovered a horse skeleton.We were astounded to see guys in white overalls collecting soil samples.They couldn't work out why the horse was buried and not sent to the knackers yard.It seems they were checking for signs of anthrax in the soil.Nothing was found and they surmised that the horse was a family pet so was buried instead of being sent to the knackers.

mmnnbb-2.jpg

I'm wondering now. :blink:

On the old photo, the road is still going downhill, and I agree my first modern image should probably be on the other side of the roundabout going towards Bestwood

But then the current house which I though might be the same as the old one, is definitely on an up-hill; but it doesn't look far enough up the hill on the old photo

So I'm not sure of anything

Hope nobody minds my putting these on of Edwards lane...Can't work out where the high sandstone used to be.One of the pictures shows a lakeside house that I believe is where the pub now stands.Edit...Picture the past confirms the lake was where the pub now stands..It belonged to a nurseryman called Mee...My mothers maiden name...I wonder???? :rolleyes:

NCCC000432.jpg

NCCC000433.jpg

NTGM000444.jpg

NCCC000317.jpg

NTGM006071.jpg

And now I've just raided Old Maps and come up with this 1900 version of the area, which I appreciate is similar to the one poohbear posted a few minutes ago.

But note the "Lodge" in the center of the map. That must be the building which keeps cropping up in all of these photos

Magic!! That puts the lake at the back of the pub...I wonder if those nursery fields belonged to the lakeside house? If those pictures with the sandstone cutting are back up the hill towards Sherwood?...then they must've moved a hell of a lot of rock to build the housing estate.

All in all it looks like a cracking area to live in those days...provided you weren't in the workhouse of course.;)

The sandstone cutting pictures look a lot like Redhill.

I reckon Picture the Past have cocked up...those pics are Hucknall Road I reckon not Edwards lane.I can't see they would move thousands of tons of stone to create the look of this modern picture.Hucknall Road looks just like those old pics just below Perry road...or would have done before road widening.Is Hucknall road in existence on that old map of yours Cliff Ton??

But there again Hucknall road isn't dead straight like those old pics...today it bears to the left as it starts to climb the other side.

ggfd.jpg