Nottingham Midland To Edale

Back Tor - my favourite sandwich break spot in the Peak District. Watching the little trains snake past Edale whilst guarding your packed lunch from the local sheep!

Happy days. While we still have them.

Very similar tale to guarding your butties from the sheep. My favourite spot was top of Grindsbrook Clough turn to the left and follow the path to a spot where there are some old weathered exposed stones, IMMSC this spot was called Grindslow Knoll. Fought off many an inquisitive sheep here but still managed to spare a bit of bread and ham salad for them !

• 2 weeks later...

quite right Stephen the second train did start from Lincoln, the crew starting work @ 2.47 am to work the Royal Mail train to Lincoln and back with the 'Hikers' train . 8 coaches, the rear 4 locked to Nottingham as most platforms Linc./nottm. only held 4 (Rolleston Junc. 4 Suthl. racecourse the exception) If I remember rightly we went up the Erewash line not via Derby!

I'm glad someone else agreed with my memory. I remember we went out via the line that ran paralell to Faraday Road, as my Grandma lived on Cycle Road at the time and we always gave her a wave (Just in case !!)

I was thinking 1955/56 when we lived a stone's throw from Sawley Junction, and both the Edale and Buxton trains called there and then went on via Derby. Edale was, I think, 9.56 and Buxton was 10.08. These were regular timetabled trains, but of course in those days there were numerous additional excursions that ran on specific days as advertised - remember the "Trips by Train" handbills - of which you would find a dozen or so at any station (Dudley Zoo, Trentham Gardens, Alton Towers, Blackpool etc.) So there were quite often trains "up the valley" from (old) Long Eaton station, which turned left after Codnor Park to reach Ambergate and what was then the main line to Matlock, Bakewell etc. In most cases you could use tickets interchangeably - so if you started from Nottingham on an excursion that went up the Erewash Valley, there was nothing to stop you choosing to come back on the one via Derby.

re that journey of mine, I recall someone saying the train was going back via Derby, somewhere I had never been, some adults were talking and on about how the station there had been bombed in the war, I was looking forward to seeing it thus and quite disappointed to find it had been rebuild, am sure it must have looked better with bomb damage

• 4 years later...

I know the sort RR. LOL

Just found a scan of a leaflet that I downloaded some time ago. Sundays 1 July - 9 September 1962. Rambler's train 9.45 from Nottingham, picking up at Beeston, Attenborough, (with connection from Loughborough and Kegworth), Sawley Junction, Spondon, Derby. Then Belper and all station except Monsal Dale to Buxton arriving 12.15. On the return it left Buxton at 7.10, Matlock 7.50 but gives no details of arrival times back in Nottingham. Excursion fares from Nottingham ranged from Ambergate 4/10d, Matlock 5/6d, Bakewell 7/6d, Buxton 9/-.