Something strange happened on my computer. As I posted a few days ago, I managed to uninstall Norton last week and install a free security prog. However, a strange icon has appeared on my screen today. Apparently I`ve now got a system called McAfee Security.

Didn`t have it before, I swear!

What`s that all about do you think? :rolleyes:

Something strange happened on my computer. As I posted a few days ago, I managed to uninstall Norton last week and install a free security prog. However, a strange icon has appeared on my screen today. Apparently I`ve now got a system called McAfee Security.

Didn`t have it before, I swear!

What`s that all about do you think? :rolleyes:

One of the most insidious things these days is 'bundled' software.

I expect when you bought your PC it had bundled pre-loaded Norton and McAfee that thasts for a trial period. You probably opted for Norton which you have now deleted and the PC is defaulting to the next in line which is McAfee.

Without doubt the trial period will finish and it will ask you to subscribe.

I think you might have hit "that nail" square on the head!!

How do you get that one for free Pete ?? I've been faffing around on there for a bit and not found a way of getting it for free!!

How do you get that one for free Pete ?? I've been faffing around on there for a bit and not found a way of getting it for free!!

If you click the following, the download should start automatically - it's only a small exe file.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

• 6 months later...

I`ve used A.V.G. Free for 10 years and had no problems, security scaring is all **ap ,all the magazines are full of it, owt for nowt is good in this case !!!.