Eh up MG

Do you know which bit was built on?

I suspect from the satellite view that Marks and Sparks may be the keepers of a few skeletons!

stpeterschurch.jpg

Looking at the old maps, the oldest one there is 1881 and it has a graveyard marked on the north side

church.jpg

but by 1920s the graveyard is marked on the other side, so maybe the skeletons had gone for a walk

church1920.jpg

But there's no further mention of them; and then M&S enlarged over Church Side, so the skeletons are now probably under the escalators

1881 is fairly recent?

What date is the building, and was there a church there before?

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/whatnall1928/stpeters_interior.htm

tells us

It is believed that the present church was founded almost immediately after the Conquest to provide accommodation for a portion of Peveril’s French castle-guard and their dependants who had settled in a new town which sprang up round Nottingham Castle. Certain of the stones in the south arcade bear Norman tool marks, and these are believed to be a part of the original church of Peveril’s time.

I seem to remember some headstones leaning up against the church wall but dont know if any of them were removed, the family I'm interested in are the Fitzwalters they lived on Hounds Gate and were instrumental in my ancestors coming to Nottingham in the 1820s. I will have to visit and ask a few questions, think you are right though probably under M&S.

• 4 years later...