See you in March?

Kewl!

Shaping up to be a big turnout! Any chance of an appearance by Radfordred, or our very own celebrity, Craig?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric & I will be getting a train in, after I pick him up at his hotel @ L.E.

Starting at the Bell around 7ish?

Are we moving pubs during the meet?

In case there are late comers, best have a mobile contact number(s)?

Moving pubs might be an idea. Isn't there a Castle Rock pub down near the station somewhere?

There is, "The Vat and Fiddle" thats where the brewery is itself (But it's a fair old walk for the infirm amongst us !!) I could hobble to The Salutation or The Trip if forced , !!

Taxi! cheers.gif

Talking of meet ups, are any of you aviation enthusiasts interested in attending Flying Legends at Duxford this year, July 9th and 10th. I have nagged Beefy to go before, but it has to be one of the greatest airshows in the world and shouldn't be missed this year as the brilliant close formation display team, The Horsemen, are going to bring over their own P-51 Mustangs from California, what a coup. If I renew my TFC membership, I can get guests into the TFC enclosure where, like the last time The Horsemen were over here, Horsemen pilots Steve Hinton and Ed Shipley were happy to wander in for a chat, cool dudes, anyone up for it?

Looks like we have the makings for the biggest meet-up ever! Red - we may be pissed by the time you get there - but it won't be your fault! I must say I am really looking forward to this trip and meeting all of you - both new and old friends!

Well, a week today I will be in London. I try to spend a night there on arrival as it seems to help with the jet-lag - and means I don't have to drive when I am half-asleep! Also gives me chance to sort out the cell phone (O.K., "mobile").

Pick up my rental car on Wednesday morning for the trip up the M1 - are there any major roadworks on it these days? Check in to the hotel and probably take a walk around LE before heading out for the evening's festivities. Thursday I'll be visiting my aunt and meeting old school friends in the evening then on Friday off to my sister's in Retford for the weekend.

Monday I'll be back to LE to take care of some business, then off to my other sister near Cambridge and a visit to the MG Owners Club to see if they are interested in selling my kits over there. Tuesday I will probably go to visit the graves of my parents in Huntingdon (my mum died 20 years ago yesterday), then back to Heathrow for an early flight home on Wednesday!

What time will you be leaving for the drive up north mate as I may be able to help you out re "Quicker routes" etc (They still work I saved about two hours on my drive up and down from Dover the other day!!)

Driving from Heathrow - probably leaving there around 10:30am. I will have my GPS (SatNav).

OK Eric , here goes. !!

Leave Heathrow and join M4 to join the M25 clockwise , towards the M1, the first exit will be the M40 , Please take this route no matter what anybody or Sat Nav tells you !! all the way till you join the M42 south of Birmingham (65 mile), head up the M42 past Birmingham airport, and carry on for another 32 miles all the way to the end where it joins the M1 at junction 23a just to the south of the Nottm south exit at junction 24 . Jctn24 also being the exit for Sawley and Long Eaton and through to Beeston This route is approx 110 mile of trouble, stress, and hopefully roadworks free motoring.

If you go via the M1 all the way it will be stress traffic and loads of roadworks (Especially round Milton Keyenes and they aren't on the route finders either!!) and about 109 miles !! for the sake of 1 mile you arrive a lot fitter and happier and probably an hour or two earlier as well.

Thanks, Beefy - I'll try that one. It'll make a change from the boring M1 run anyway!

It's a far better route , I've done it literally hundreds (If not into the thousands) of times . As you go past High Wycombe (Jnctn4) and over the end of the Chiltern hills and on past junction 6 keep your eyes peeled for "Red Kites" there are loads of them , My best 'count' is 126 as I drove through the area !! bare in mind these are what I saw whilst driving so there must have been loads more !!