I`m dead excited. My sister is coming back from 'foreign parts' i.e. Spain, for a break and I`m meeting her in Nottingham for a pub lunch next Thursday. I haven`t seen her for years and I want to take her somewhere nice (not posh) for lunch.

Trouble is, I don`t know what Nottingham pubs are like nowadays.

We`re meeting by the lions. Where do you suggest we go, that serves good beer and decent English pubgrub and where we`d be able to get a seat, not too far from slab square? Is there such a place?

I do want it to go well. I`d be grateful for suggestions.

Stand at the Lions look diagonally to your left , (Towards exchange walk) next door to the Nat West bank there's a "Weatherspoons" called "The Joseph Ilse" there that does what you ask for.

Failing that, there's "The Bell" over the square near the old "Odeon" If you go to "The Bell" I recommend the "Hunters Chicken" with boiled taters, laverly !!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Good Red. How much?

Just how I like my sunday lunch, Bags of Roasties, Yorkshires and lashings of decent meat gravy.

Eat yer hearts out Ex Pats.

SSShh!! don't tell SWMBO but we're going for a 'late one' to the "Brighton Belle" (Hungry Horse) 20 oz steak here I come (And of course a few galsses of "Old Speckled Hen" to wash it down with. I'll have to take my camera and get a shot of it !!

• 6 months later...

The Wheelhouse on Russell Drive Wollaton closes for a month !!! Ripped out & turned into an horse an hungry horse !!

The Wheelhouse used to be quite 'posh', to us Aspley lads, back in the day, if I recall they built a big conservatory extension the likes of which had not been seen in the suburbs of Nott'm, very popular in the 70s/80's