Well he thought it was a good idea at the time

They say the venom from a king cobra (one bite) is enough to kill 40 people.

Who in their right mind would want to keep such reptiles ?

These reptiles should be in their own habitat, not in a bloke's kitchen over Eastwood way.

Condolences to his family.

Crazy!!! Just seeing them on TV gives me the willies.

Folks get snakes and then either get tired or scared of them and let them loose. Apparently the Burmese Python is now well settled in the Florida Everglades thanks to careless releases by idiots. It is said they could survive as far North as North Georgia. Imagine meeting one of those in the garden when you take the dog out for a late night pee.

Wonder if a Cobra could survive in the Nottingham area climate?

Apparently the Burmese Python is now well settled in the Florida Everglades thanks to careless releases by idiots. It is said they could survive as far North as North Georgia. Imagine meeting one of those in the garden when you take the dog out for a late night pee.

You should have gone down the Palaise on a Wednesday night in the late 80s early 90s , there were plenty of them down there !!

Having been confronted twice by Cobra's now (both times wihin a mile of a city centre), can assure you that it is an unforgettable experience - which is seared forever on your memory.

The instant feeling of terror soon recedes into a wonderful admiration for such a magnificent creature.

They both completed an aggressive - but defensive - display for several minutes, complete with a flared hood and semi-erect position, before disappearing into the undergrowth.

Always recommended in South-East Asia that Westerners adjust their normal line of vision whilst walking (even in city centres!), to look more downwards!

My son and I once found a Russell's Pit Viper sleeping overnight on the warm tiles of his carport. We kept a considerable distance, as they are considered around 10 times more venomous, and far more likely to strike, than a Cobra!

A careful check around the next morning revealed that it had later slid away ...hopefully...

The Cobra in my avatar was owned by a Thai friend of my son's, and was pictured on my son's patio in 2005. Was eventually returned to the wild, as it developed eating problems whilst in captivity.

My only reservation over the Eastwood case is that he chose initially to take so many (24?) from their natural habitat.

Cheers

Robt P.

I would prefer to be in the company of Cobra's than a certain handful of all the people I have met in my life.

Both in and outside the job.

This chap was known to SWMBO he supplied the crickets for such 'pets' that they sell to owners of said wildlife from her pet shop. R.I.P.

I have always been of the opinion that such animals should not be kept as pets.

There is an expression here in the South which is used to describe some individuals.

"He's as mean as a snake."

Some may disagree with me but I fail to see how a snake could ever qualify as a pet.

Surely, a pet is an animal that can truly get to know you. Enjoy doing things with you. Is possibly protective of you. It is also extremely unlikely to do you any deliberate harm.

I doubt any of those things could be said of a snake.

Latet anguis in herba.

Snake in the grass! - a treacherous person or harmful thing that is hidden or seemingly harmless.

Someone who is a snake in the grass betrays you even though you have trusted them.

A person who successfully conceals his evil or untrustworthy intentions; hidden enemy.

People kinda give snakes a bad name eh?

I'm extremely lucky to be around you fellers, a couple of days back, I went to feed my chooks. I leave a large rock in front of the chicken coop door to stop racoons forcing their way in. I knocked the rock out the way with my boot, stepped into the coop and fed and watered the birds.

Came out and shut the door and nearly died!!!

There was a copper head coiled up against the chicken coop wall where the rock usually was!!

It must have been under the rock I normally leave there, how or why it didn't sink it's fangs into my foot is a mystery, why it didn't lunge at me when I stepped out is odd!!

Copper heads???? Extremely venomous snakes, extremely aggressive and deadly!!

It didn't survive the shovel though.....

Quite a few Copperheads in this neck of the woods, John. We have woods at the bottom of our yard and I am always very cautious where I put my feet and try to keep a close eye on the dog. They are so well camouflaged it is hard to see them at all against the leaves.

We were turning into our road one day and there was one sneaking across the road. I stopped and it showed no fear of the car. My wife was saying, "Run it over, run it over." but I couldn't bring myself to do it, after all they kill vermin etc. So he used up one of his nine lives, no, that's cats isn't it? Anyway he got away without a tire mark on his back.

Funny how we seem to have a primal hatred of the things isn't it?

I remember being in Busche Gardens Tampa with SWMBO a few years back and sliding along against the base of a wall (Wild and free) was a big black snack , don't know whether it had escaped from somewhere on site or was truely wild , but we didn't stick around too long to find out !!

That sounds like the common black snake Ian, harmless other than if provoked will bite, but certainly not venomous. They get in the chicken coop and "slime" a chicken, ie they hang from the rafters in the dark and try to swallow a whole chicken. Impossible, as chickens are too large for them, but the chicken is killed and left with a slimy head and neck.

We also have the Eastern Rattlesnake and the Cottonmouth around water courses, both extremely poisonous and would spoil anyones day if bitten by them. Never seen either of them...... YET!!

I did kill a few rattlesnakes when we lived in California, as they presented a danger to my goats that I bred back there.

A long handle shovel or a garden hoe soon puts paid to those from a position of safety.

As Dave said, the Copperhead blends in well with the colour of dry brown grass and leaves.