Carlton Square, Nottingham C.1970

You're not far off with the comments there chaps on 1 minute 44 seconds till 1 minute 53 you can see a small yellow "Business Post" van , that would more than likely have been me !!!! (Probably nipping home for a brew!) as, from October 93 till January 96 I was 'senior driver' and one of my duties was nipping out in that little van to deliver owt that arrived late and missed the main delivery vehicles.

I well remember driving through those floods ( on more than one occasion) !, it was a regular occurrence there. I even remember sitting in the "Inn for a Penny" (Just round the corner out of shot) watching a massive thunder storm straight above us, and god did it rain ! In the end a couple of us had to wade out in to the floods to push the numpties out who thought it a good idea to drive through so slow the car and the engine (Litterally) flooded !

It soon drains away though, probably half an hour tops.

Floods in Carlton eh?

Very interesting. In fact the first few frames show the house I lived in near the bottom of Willow road.

Never saw the Ouse Dyke so full before.

Wonder if the new Colwick ring road affected the run off in some way. Never saw flooding like that in that area in my time in the area.

• 1 year later...

My grandparents(fathers parents) had a grocers shop on Burton Road from the late 40s to about 1959 .

I lived there with my mam & dad till 1953 when we moved to a brand new council house on Welbeck Avenue off Westdale Lane.

mick great vidio clips even found clip mine and kats old school but is under carlton le willows annex just how i remember it although this is 22 years after we left school , the floods at junctin of burton conway and the new loop rds but like dave i remember it floodin there but never as bad as that lots of memories flooding back from those clips.

• 3 months later...

Hello All....The Carlton Square clip is excellant, and just proves what a crying shame it was to create the concrete giant that is Carlton Square. I was alarmed to learn, only a few weeks ago (I no longer live in Nottingham) that the old Park Clinic was demolished and a brand new spanking clinic for the 21st Century has now replaced it. Surely if they were going to demolish anything it should have been the Carlton Square building, which in my opinion are the worst crimes against architecture.....well after the Maid Marian Way

It will probably annoy you more to find the old Council offices have stood empty for a number of years and it's boarded now !!

My Mum as elling me that folks in central Carlton are feeling left out on everything, Netherfield and the top of Carlton Hill got millions spent on redevelopement, but anywhere within a half a mile or so of Carlton Square has been left go to rack and ruin.!

I told that the council offices at Carlton Square were boarded up - which I find infuriating, even more so when I learnt that the old house that was the Park Clinic was demolished.

Not too sure about the top of Carlton Hill, when I returned to Nottingham nearly four years ago - I was shocked to see what had replaced the old businesses. The place just seemed to be full of Take-aways, Tesco Express (those blighters are like Ants, they colonise everywhere). It just wasn't the same Carlton Hill of my childhood. But at least there was the Greek Chippy, the Indian Prince,

I was shocked to see what had replaced the old businesses. The place just seemed to be full of Take-aways, Tesco Express (those blighters are like Ants, they colonise everywhere). It just wasn't the same Carlton Hill of my childhood. But at least there was the Greek Chippy, the Indian Prince,

That's like so many local High Streets though Sean. Arnold and other suburbs are much the same. Things will never be the same again.