The Gleision Colliery miners

Another tragic mining accident with one of four remaining trapped miners reported dead at the time of writing. The deceased man has not been named at this point which must leave the loved ones of all four men in a terrible state.

Thoughts go out to these brave lads and their families. My dad was a miner for many years and I can only begin to understand what they must be going through. From our former staunch mining county of Nottinghamshire (indeed a rescue team from Mansfield has arrived at the scene), and with some on here with years of experience going down the pit who will know what this is all about, I'm sure you will join me in wishing them safely home.

I could not have said it better Stu. I know that every miner in the world hopes for a good end to this story - but knows the truth is it is unlikely.

From what I gather on the Welsh mining site, the mine was always a wet mine, as were all the old pits in that area.

Looks like it was an inrush of water from old workings of another abandoned colliery.....Brings back to mind Lofthouse in the 70's where several men died.

The Lofthouse one washed heavy hydraulic chocks out into the gate roads, showing the force of water when it breaks in. The NCB and Colliery Manager were hammered at the inquiry. Seems they were in such a rush to get a face up and running, they didn't do their job right in planning, even though the water came from a colliery abandoned many years before the law required up to date surveys to be carried out.

I'll be watching for what comes out at the inquiry of this accident.

There are very few rescue stations left Mick. Originally the NCB set up and trained the rescue teams, now it's a private company that trains them.

Each NCB area had it's own rescue station fully equipped, but there was only one specialized diving team within the old NCB/BC. Inrushes were extremely rare under the nationalized coal industry due to good and diligent planning before developments took place underground.

In the whole of the UK, there are only about five large collieries left and a handful of very small operations, mostly in Wales and Somerset.

There are however several large mineral mines mining Salt, (Cheshire), Potash, (North Yorks) they used to have their own fully manned and equipped rescue station, then British Gypsums several underground mines spread around the UK. There are a few other minerals being mined as small scale operations.

I did get a request from a member re this being posted in Owt about Nowt, and to move it to a tribute area.

I will create such an area, when I get time and can think of such an item?

Any Suggestions?