Taken from History and Antiquities of Nottingham...James Orange 1840

This is news to me...anyone heard of this Roman Road??...or Hollywood near Arnold?

710d3b9b.jpg

So he's talking of a road around this area heading North from the Hermitage caves on Castle Boulevard over the Park and exiting at the end of Barrack Lane and on to the forest Northwards,

4dc94cb2.jpg

Me too...and no Roman roads discovered in the greater Nottingham area.Possible Roman wharf at Sawley could be a water link with Margidunnum (East Bridgeford),,,but roads?? There must have been minor roads to and from the Settlement at Broxtowe in the middle of the council estate...but link roads to the North from a river crossing is a first for me.(At the time of the Romans anyway) If this gentleman has knowledge of a Roman road in the Park somebody else must have had knowledge of it.The Park was originally a deer park and warren used by the castle...any discovery would have been about the time of building the houses there...I'll keep searching...1840 was a long time ago though.

Could 'Hollywood' have anything to do with Fox Wood and it's fort between Calverton and Woodborough?

How old is the Mansfield Road (as a possible continuation form the Forest)? Wasn't aware of it being around in Roman times but it was certainly there when the Danes arrived a little later. I read a report of them marching from York to sack Nottingham around the 800's.

re: the yellow line of the "road" on poohbear's map

In roman times I guess that would've been quite a way outside the city walls and boundaries, almost a bypass. The castle wasn't built then, so obviously no Park, and the nearest civilisation would've been the western edge of what is now the Lace Market.

I would guess the Castle site would have been a fortified position in antiquity well before the Romans..the iron age people have long been treated as savage barbarians before the Roman invasion. Or so Roman writings would have us believe....latest information shows they had a very organised system of settlements and hill forts and weren't the wode wearing uncivilized tribes the Romans have led us to believe,

Some of the iron age finds reflect their skill with jewellery and gold that was as sophisticated as anything found amongst the Mediterranian peoples.

I don't think the lace market area was as important to them as it became to the Angles and Saxons who came afterwards.The Castle rock is an obvious site for a safe settlement and must have stuck out like a sore thumb to the early peoples.

I've had this picture for a while but can't as yet remember where it came from (mid to late 1800s) ...I would have expected a Roman burial ground to be close to a settlement...and I've not read of one anywhere near the Castle rock...anybody else?

Hard to read ..but...

A.....'Remains of the Roman Sepulchral (sp) Commune in Nottingham Park.

The ??????? still retaining the chimney from the furnace where the incinerations took place'

B.....'One of the chambers containing the col????? where the ashes of the deceased were deposited in jars'

c858ab77.jpg

Daft as it may seem , I'm pretty sure there's a (Still usable) tunnel through from The Park to either The Ropewalk or Derby Road . It looks extremely familiar to that picture

Here's the text enhanced slightly

6244499806_3da97ca7eb.jpg

Daft as it may seem , I'm pretty sure there's a (Still usable) tunnel through from The Park to either The Ropewalk or Derby Road .

Yes there is. It runs from Tunnel Road in the Park, and comes out here http://maps.google.c...2,180.06,,0,4.7

It's the white "arch" right in the background. Go under there, you think it's nowhere, and it suddenly opens out into the tunnel.

c858ab77.jpg

I think they are the rocks behind "Park Rock" apartments on Castle Boulevard

Although there's a lot more bushes and trees, look between the apartment blocks here http://maps.google.c...12,342.8,,0,0.7

And the road directly above that rock is the Park is called Hermitage Walk

From...Links with Old Nottingham...J.Holland Walker.

"The first house to be built in the Park was erected in 1827, but about 1850 when the estate was taken seriously in hand and developed for building purposes it was intended to make the main entrance through the tunnel from Derby-road.

Mr. T. C. Hine was the engineer of the project, and the Duke of Newcastle agreed that the gradient should not be more than one in fourteen.

However, it turned out to be one in twelve, which was found to be too severe, and other entrances to the estate had to be arranged.

The old tunnel, with its wealth of greenery and the soft yellows of its sandstone, is a very picturesque spectacle and a curious feature of the city."

Must be strange to wake up in a morning just feet away from an ancient Roman crematorium...if indeed it is.The Victorian historian might be mistaken and the site be of another era...Even so,it's a more interesting view than the one I get when I open my curtains.. :biggrin:

eb609152.jpg

Many of those were destroyed or are hidden by the buildings and Victorian railway brickwork.Strange how the early historians always named them hermitages.Some did indeed have altars and signs of early Christianity in them,but only a small percentage.

7db834f9.jpg

I wonder if they had their attics lagged?... :biggrin: