The hospital first appeared around 1900 and on one map is marked Institution Hospital so may be associated with the workhouse/childrens institute next door.

Must have been a nice place to live with gardens and fields around it...or at least the view was.Inside may have been another matter.

A new Radford Union workhouse for 200 inmates was erected in 1837-38 at the south side of Outgang Lane (now Hartley Road) in Nottingham. It cost about £2,600 to build and could accommodate 200 inmates. The building's design appears to have been based on the cruciform layout that was popular at this period.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is part of a Radford street map posted some time back...1920s I need the area to the right of Ilkeston Road....Cobden street/Salisbury Street area. 1920s would be great...but any other periods f

Here's 1920-ish. Note the lack of Raleigh, who would appear at the bottom where the "Allotment Gardens" are. Incidentally, you may not be aware of this http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html which is

That's what I was looking for...a big house with extensive gardens in the middle of the terraces...Now I've got to find who lived there.

The view across Outgang Lane and front garden would.

Looking at the incredibly accurate detail on the map, it appears to me that the position each individual tree has been recorded. Evidenced by the changing patterns of trees within each enclosure.

I would like to see other parts of Radford on that map.

Give me a specific area Mick and I'll find it on that scale and blow it up.Bet you'll hardly recognise it though from 1881. I'm wondering why some buildings are solid and some chequered...glass roofs?....conservatories/greenhouses? The Alma pub is marked on there at the crossroads.(Not on that bit though)

I am interested in anywhere in radford really, but what was there before players.

Hartley Road particularly. I am wondering if any of those buildings remain today?

Is that bassets sweet factory on the corner?

That was to become Barnetts on the corner with the plot on Norton Street not yet built.Another twenty years before that came about.

In 1881 the Players site was still fields and orchards.

1901 and Players had built their factory,alongside a lace factory.

e2f55a52.jpg

Fifteen years later they had taken over the lace warehouse and it was now a bonded tobacco warehouse.

c9cd8035.jpg

The Boulevard site was still parochial land.

Poohbear,

Can you get blowup detail of Radford Grove lane, showing Radford Grove etc, my forebears lived at 24 Radford Grove lane (last house at bottom) from about 1912 to the eighties

THANKS EVERY ONE WILL PASS THIS ON TO FREIND WHO LOOKING FOR EDINBOROUGH ST AND I WAS LOOKING FOR LEA ST FUNNY THEY WERE SO CLOSE TOGETHER

WILL EMPTY MY INBOX CLIFTON AND SEE IF IT HELPS

FRIEND WAS BORN EDINBOROUGH STIN 1950 BUT WASBROUGHT UP OTHER END OF DENMAN ST BY HIS GRAND PARENTS AND HAS JUST STARTED TO LOOK INTO HIS FAMILY HISTORY.

i know mick but sooner that than be misarible with no friends. but just looking at this site and the people who are popping up that i know from my past just shows what a small world we are living in i know i am still nottingham based but many arnt. by the way i have cleared my inbox for pms now

• 3 weeks later...

any chance of a blow up of the area betweenradford bulivard and st peters st ilkeston rd to hartley rd area have now cleared all my old pm so you should be able to send me pm now

• 2 months later...

Bit late on picking up on this I have maps of bits of Radford dated 1881/2 & the whole of Radford in the earliy 1950s

My roots are Radford Both 0f my Mothers parents were born on Gate Street Radford Woodhouse(1887) my mother was born Guthrie street(1929) & moved shortly afterwards to Middleton Street my father was born Dulwich Road(1926 - d1992)

Here's 1920-ish.

radford.jpg

Note the lack of Raleigh, who would appear at the bottom where the "Allotment Gardens" are.

Incidentally, you may not be aware of this http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html which is where I got the map (and most of my others) from.

It's not the easiest site to navigate through, but once you've mastered it, you'll be fascinated for hours.

This map I also have & it is dated 1915

sorry it is too large to scan.

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap;

It would be interesting to communicate. You write: 'both of my mother's parents were born on Gate Street, Radford Woodhouse (1887)'. I have family connections around the Radford Woodhouse area.

Also, what was the name of your father? re: Dulwich Road (1926-1992).

Bubblewrap;

It would be interesting to communicate. You write: 'both of my mother's parents were born on Gate Street, Radford Woodhouse (1887)'. I have family connections around the Radford Woodhouse area.

Also, what was the name of your father? re: Dulwich Road (1926-1992).

My mothers nee name was Clifton Grandmothers nee name Radford.

On my fathers side the family name is Smith(common;)) other grandmother's nee name was Bishop.( both born around 1900.)

My Mother is the yongest of six the oldest Doris is 100 in two weeks time My father(died 1992) was the eldest of three

We lived on Burton Road Carlton till I was three then on Welbeck Avenue till I was nineteeen

The Clifton grandparents names were Walter & Elizabeth.

The Smith Grandparents names were Stanley & Ethel

Fathers was known asStanley(First name John)as grandfather.

Bubblewrap, thanks for replying. I have taken down the info. on your grandparents (mother's side) and will hope to find out if they are remembered.

Just checking: what was your father's name? Stanley (first name John)? His birth date may be too early to trace.

Also, do you have any information on Radford Woodhouse? It was a fascinating little place; some wonderful photographs of the surrounding areas: Cherry Orchard and Chalfont Drive before development, on: 'Picture the Past'.

I note that you are interested in coal mining; the houses in Radford Woodhouse belonged to Lord Middleton (owner of Wollaton Pit) but you probably knew that already!

Wollaton colliery was sunk in 1873/4

I presume that Gate Street,Vane Street & Leavers Street were built at the same time talking to my mother some time last year one of her uncles was the last residents of Radford Woodhouse before the area was demolished in 1974?

I understand Wollaton & Radford were connected underground.

P.S. I am off to see my mother this week end so I think a long talk is required.;)