This is part of a Radford street map posted some time back...1920s

I need the area to the right of Ilkeston Road....Cobden street/Salisbury Street area. 1920s would be great...but any other periods from 1890s to 1930s would be of interest.....Thanks.

a5e5b80f.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is part of a Radford street map posted some time back...1920s I need the area to the right of Ilkeston Road....Cobden street/Salisbury Street area. 1920s would be great...but any other periods f

Here's 1920-ish. Note the lack of Raleigh, who would appear at the bottom where the "Allotment Gardens" are. Incidentally, you may not be aware of this http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html which is

That's what I was looking for...a big house with extensive gardens in the middle of the terraces...Now I've got to find who lived there.

Here's 1920-ish.

radford.jpg

Note the lack of Raleigh, who would appear at the bottom where the "Allotment Gardens" are.

Incidentally, you may not be aware of this http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html which is where I got the map (and most of my others) from.

It's not the easiest site to navigate through, but once you've mastered it, you'll be fascinated for hours.

• Upvote 1

That's what I was looking for...a big house with extensive gardens in the middle of the terraces...Now I've got to find who lived there.

The owner of the Malthouse next door?

house-1.jpg

And the Marquis of Lorne was there in 1882 (which is this map)

• Upvote 1

Well after a bit of searching I found that the Maltings were the property of WH Hutchinson who had a brewery on Church street Basford.But it listed his house as being West Hill House on Church street.

So I searched further and found that Cobden House was listed under the name Charles Walker(And I figured the posh name would make it the big house I was looking for)

An 1885 street directory brought up this...

1316e591.jpg

And a census search came up with his family at No.1 Salisbury street (Gotta be Cobden House) and surprise surprise....he was a Maltster. Looks like he rented the house from the lady at the top though.Head of household Mary Harrison..... spinster....occupation 'Income from houses'....looks like she had a few quid.

Not bad going without using Nottingham Library records...

5fbc5426.jpg

!rulez! Ooo Err!

Bu99er!

Sorry Mick, Bu99er, Bu99er, Bu99er!!................................but I need some emoticons, I got 'emitconophobiaticwithdrawalitis syndrome'!!!

• 4 weeks later...

how do you get these maps clifton just tried but not getting anywere need lee st and edinborough st radford can you help

how do you get these maps clifton just tried but not getting anywere need lee st and edinborough st radford can you help

Babs, it's been done anyway. I tried to PM you on the subject but I think your PM inbox is full because it told me you can't take any more messages. Maybe that's why nobody is talking to you any more ;)

Now thats an interesting map.

Norton Street does not extend past Hartley Road, and there is apparently no Players factory?

Also the 'Training Institute' appears to be appended with "Workhouse Children"?

1882 Mick..the area was still mostly fields.The Institution was originally built to take excess children from York street workhouse which was overflowing.I guess like nowadays some PC type decided the name workhouse should be phased out.

Also, in the 1882 map Hartley Road was still called Outgang Lane. Doesn't seem to have become Hartley Road until the houses were built on the other side.

I'm also intrigued on the 1916 map by Hospital just along Norton Street behind the Children's Home. What hospital was that?

I've read of it CliffTon but can't remember now...On the early map in very small print amongst those trees the word 'tank' appears many times....wonder if that was fresh water or sewage?

Could the hospital be for soldiers returning from any campaign.

Als the childrens workhouse had a pretty nice front garden similar to Wollaton Halls topiary?

d518b650.jpg