Nottinghamshire Notables

Anybody heard of this book?

Men of Nottingham and Notts

By Robert Mellors

Published in 1924

It contains brief biographical details of 500 notable Nottingham(& shire) men & Women.

I recently acquired a copy for £5.

Are you one of the famous or infamous notables Kath? :)

I can't remember doing anything in my youth to make me famous or infamous, says she hopefully!

Anybody heard of this book?

Men of Nottingham and Notts

By Robert Mellors

I don't know the book but the name Robert Mellors is very familiar to me me as there was a senior school in Arnold by the same name.

• 1 month later...

come on now stu all of us on this site are now famous or infamous whichever way like to look at it

If the truth be told Babs, you're not far wrong.

By that I mean that all of our ramblings from the past few years are now safely logged in the annals of history , one way or another. So in 200 years time people may not know of Beefsteak, Mick2me or Babs (Et Al) per say, but they are going to know what the 2000+ of us knew of Nottinghamshire and remembered !!

Which is more than can be said of our ancestors who left probably less than 50 accounts between them of nationwide history 200 years ago !!

(If that makes sense) !?

• Upvote 1

The point you all make has always been an intriguing one to me. I'm glad that people will be able to refer to sites like this in the future and understand what life was like for people in that era. It almost feels a little spooky writing that knowing that someone might read it in 100/200/1000 years time God willing.

I have always felt this curious feeling about my own blog site with it's 399 and growing articles on there as I write. Very strange to know what we are leaving behind us.

I like that blog too - really sticks it to the council and exposes some politicians for what they are. The webmaster provides a great service in my humble opinion.

Not sure about Blogspot Mick. Is that not part of the 'Blogger' service provided by Google as opposed to Wordpress where my site is hosted?

Ah! Not sure about that Mick. I've not tried but I'd assume not. There are two ways of using Wordpress as you might know. One is through http://wordpress.org/ where you download their software to your own machine and http://wordpress.com (as I use) in which your blog is hosted remotely. I think the former would be the way to go if you wanted to download and store your own database.

I have many times thought about converting to .org for a more professional-looking blog. I will look into it one of these days. The remotely hosted service is very good though and gives good choices for design and functionality for those like me who are only computer literate to a decent point as opposed to being an expert. I've used this service for five years this Summer and it has never caused me any problems.

come on now stu all of us on this site are now famous or infamous whichever way like to look at it

My fifteen minutes of fame: Evening Post, late 1960, probably December, front page :crazy:

scan0009.jpg?gl=GB

Stu: I will rescan it tomorrow. It is the story I mentioned. Johnny Duda told someone we were behind the fire station offices, which were being built off Rolleston Drive at the time, along with other buildings on the new industrial estate. The message that went to the police was that we were behind Arnold fire station so they went looking around Nottingham road. The story is one of John Holmes (not THE John Holmes) getting stuck, waist deep in mud and me falling in whilst trying to rescue him. It made the front page of the Evening Post but the best the journalist could manage was a picture of us both - our parents wouldn't let us speak to them. We both got a good thrashing for it too <g>