A couple of years ago ebay was full of 6 inch/mile maps of which I picked up quite a few local ones.

Some were stamped as being owned by London Railway stations (engineering?) All comtained rail routes of the time.

I think the train companies must have been having a clear out. Sadly now they are few and far between.

I did see one which did not sell recently and may be of interest to Beefsteak.

OS Map Winslow, SP72NE, 6 Inches to Mile, 1958

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OS-Map-Winslow-SP72NE-6-Inches-Mile-1958-/280809993521?pt=UK_Books_maps_GL&hash=item4161947531#ht_499wt_1153

Why ??

Pssst , I live in Winsford , but don't tell anyone as it's supposed to be a secret !!................. slywink

• 3 months later...

I have a large number(about 150) of 1/500 scale(1" = 41') maps are parts of Nottingham I don,t have entire town dated 1880/1/2

I also have a number of 50" to the mile maps mostly of the early 1950s.

Plus I have a few maps of odds & sods of various dates.

Any of Chilwell or Bramcote ???

Don't go that far out I can manage as far as Lenton,Basford,Bulwell,Arnold<Carlton & Gedling.

Got all of City centre (early 50s) 50" to the mile( I have over 200 maps of this scale.)

Could you post up the Carlton & Gedling ones please?

The Gedling & Carlton maps add up to some 20-25 maps.

If you look at the squares on an OS 1" map, there are 4 maps per square.

Westdale lane is on 4 maps.

I also don't have a large format scanner.

Buy thissen a large format scanner then!! No use tellin' us wot u got , wiout bein' able to show us!!

• Upvote 1

I had some good results doing that, particularly when only a small part of the map was needed.

Sounds like a fascinating collection.

I have quite a few and not just Notts.

We should compare what we each have.

I do have a lot of Ariel photographs of Derbyshire as well

Buy thissen a large format scanner then!! No use tellin' us wot u got , wiout bein' able to show us!!

By scanning or photographing & putting on a small screen a lot of detail would be lost.

Reducing from two & a half feet square( the 1880s maps are larger) to a small screen would not do the maps justice.

I am on pension credits & can't afford a large format scanner or the lens for my camera to do a worth while job.

But I can get photo copies and bring them to Nottingham if people know exactly what they want.

Price 1950s maps £2.50 each

1880s maps £3 50 each