A sad railway story

Posted in the Ilkeston advertiser

Ex-signalman’s death on railway

Published on Sunday 26 February 2012 08:00

A FORMER signalman, described as a ‘loner’, killed himself on train tracks after being asked to leave his flat, an inquest has heard this week.

Derby Coroners Court was told that Michael Hunt, 58, died from multiple injuries after lying with his neck on the tracks on the foot crossing at Meadow Way, Long Eaton, on July 25 last year.

The driver of the Birmingham to Nottingham train, Andrew Sansome said he was ‘shocked’ by the incident.

Not long after leaving Long Eaton station at about 10pm, he noticed an object on the tracks ahead of him.

“I realised it was a person on the rail face down, lying on the crossing boards with his body off the rails,” he explained in a written statement read out to the court on Thursday.

He made an emergency brake but the train, travelling at about 50mph, travelled 400 yards, over Mr Hunt, before coming to a stop.

Police and forensic officers sealed off the area until 1.30am.

Officers from British Transport Police were commended by assistant deputy coroner Paul McCandless for the ‘considerable detective work’ they had to undergo to find out who Mr Hunt was after his death, as he had lived a very private life without bank cards, a passport or a mobile phone.

In his pockets were a bus ticket and a dental appointment card, which police used to find his address.

They searched his flat and found a letter asking Mr Hunt to vacate the property by the following week.

The court heard that Mr Hunt, who lived alone in West Bridgford, had no friends and had not seen family, including his brother Raymond, of Ilkeston, for 25 years since their mother was ill in hospital.

Raymond explained that on that occasion, Michael had run away from the hospital before seeing his mother.

He said: “Having to leave his accommodation and find fresh accommodation would have really upset him – he was very fixed in his ways.

“He thought he would be there for life.”

He explained that his younger brother had been bullied as a child and spent his time playing with model train sets alone in the garden shed at the family home in Long Eaton.

He had always dreamed of being a signalman and worked as one at Chilwell depot where Raymond said he would have gained knowledge of the local signals.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr McCandless said: “In view of the nature of his death, clearly he had chosen to put himself in the way of a moving train.

“The reason, I can only speculate, but a notice to vacate his property undoubtedly unsettled him considerably.”

A sad story but think of the guilt the train driver will feel for the rest of his life, even though it was not his fault. Suicide is selfishness in extremis.

I do know a High speed train driver that it has happened to a couple of times.

They get compensation and time off when this happens.

I could tell you a few stories, but I am afraid I cant.

I remember a lad, think maybe gypsy, he was sent to Mapperley Hosp in 1960's for stealing a bottle of milk, did similar somewhere sneinton/colwick, only traced via his labelled issued socks, Don't actually think anyone who commits suicide is thinking of shelfishness or the effects on others at the time!

Really sad. "There but for the grace of God"

I used to deliver/collect at the old Eriksons site in the early 90s and the guys on the security gate tols me that 'You'd be surprisecjust how many times it happened there . Folks walked out in front of the high speed trains that hadn't / weren't stopping . The hight of the point on the front (I know it aint a point , but you know what I mean ) is actually about neck hight , resulting in decapitation.

And yes I feel really sorry for the drivers of the trains too.

Ashley: People who commit suicide are not thinking of selfishness - that's one of the things that make it a selfish act. I have known five people that committed suicide and not one of them considered those who would have to clean up after them or indeed who would have the trauma of discovering the dead body.

One in particular was attempting to make his ex-girlfriend suffer for leaving him, despite it being his own fault - he left a note blaming her. After a few days of absence from his usual haunts I thought he might be dead but others said they thought he was away. Another friend phoned me some days later in deep distress when he forced his way into the house and discovered the rotting corpse. I don't think he ever recovered from the shock.

Whichever way you commit suicide there is always someone else who suffers. However, having said that - I knew an 18yr old who was incessantly bullied because his body was immature. He always wanted to work with me on the cold store servicing because I was the only one who treated him decently. He was found hanging from the upstairs landing. Although he had not a selfish bone in his body it was, IMO, still a selfish act albeit in desperation.

Beefy: Whilst I worked at Plessey (Ericsons) Beeston a fellow threw himself in front of the 13:15 (?) Nottingham Midland - London St Pancras in the days of class 45 Peak locos. They called him 'Bitter and Beans' after his diet.

the guys on the security gate tols me...The hight of the point on the front is actually about neck hight , resulting in decapitation.

Perhaps initially but immediately afterwards damage to the head and rest of the body of a full on impact is pretty catastrophic. So it could hardly be called a decapitation.

The case above of the person "putting his neck on the line" in my experience results in true decapitation, with the body and head being found intact. In such cases there may be no blood at all due to the pressure cut sealing arteries and blood vessels.

Also a body laying between the tracks is often struck and propelled by various dangly bits below the train.

I was informed by a British Transport Police officer many years ago of a case he knew of where the suicide

resulted in the person being thrown into the bogies of the train and remained there alive but injured whilst

the train continued its normal journeys, and only discovered dead some time later.

He also stated High speed trains are upon you before you know it, but he had experience of suicides with

steam trains, who's approach was far less subtle. In such cases he though people were more likely to 'bottle out'

Such a sad, tragic story,some of us do have the intelligency, or capability to see beyond our immediate actions,to the outcome.

As we all know,there are those who just act,seemingly with no thought at all. Most suicides tend to be sad,because we think it could have been avoided if the victim had someone to confide in.