Bunkers Hill Pub (ex Barclays)Hockley

The row of houses went in the middle of Parliament Street went in about 1886.

The Buildings between Haughton Street & Clinton street went with the building of Victoria station.

Haughton Street became Clinton Street East at that time.

Nottingham's prison at this time was just off this map at the bottom of Glasshouse Steet the Old Centraal Market & The Pallis were built on the site with Edward Street being "pushed" through the centre.

Just a little aside on the "pubs" issue. some 24 pubs were "LOST?" when the Victotia Station was built

PS I have this map in my collection the scale is somewhat large being ten & a half feet to the mile dated 1881

I'd heard of the name before, but never realised exactly where it was. So now, this photo makes more sense.

bunker.jpg

The caption reads... the entrance to St Stephen's church, Bunkers Hill in 1936. This entrance arch was all that remained of the church after it had been demolished in 1897 during construction of Victoria Station. The arch remained in Lower Parliament Street until the building of Vic Centre in early 70s.

You can see St Stephen's church on poohbear's map, and on the left of this photo is a sign saying "Lodge Yard" which is also on the map

• Upvote 1
Nottingham's prison at this time was just off this map at the bottom of Glasshouse Steet the Old Centraal Market & The Pallis were built on the site with Edward Street being "pushed" through the centre.

Think this is it?

NTGM017628.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM017628&prevUrl=

NTGM017631.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM017631&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't recall the arch on Parliament Street. Would it be right to say that the Fine Fare supermarket replaced it?

According to Picture the past" the arch survived till the Victoria Centre was built.

I think Fine Fare was biilt in 1960 after the Parliament Street entrance to Victoria Station was closed.