Do you remember?

NOSTALGIA _ Do You Remember?................

All the girls had ugly gym slips

image001.jpg

It took five minutes for the TV to warm up

image002.gif

Nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home from school

image003.jpg

Nobody owned a thoroughbred dog

image004.jpg

When 3d was a decent allowance

image005.jpg

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny

image006.jpg

Your Mother wore nylons that came in two pieces

image007.jpg

All your male teachers wore ties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels

image008.jpg

• Upvote 1

They threatened to keep children back a year if they failed. . . and they did it!

image012.jpg

When a Ford Zephyr was everyone's dream car...

and people went steady

image013.jpg

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked

image014.jpg

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends

and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a... '

image015.gif

Playing cricket with no adults to help the children with the rules of the game

image016.jpg

Bottles came from the corner shop without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger

image017.gif

And with all our progress, don't you wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savour the slower pace, and share it with the children of today.

image018.jpg

When being sent to the head's study was nothingcompared to the fate that awaited the student at home

image019.jpg

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, cricket, Hula Hoops, skate hockey and visits to the pool, and eating lemonade powder or liquorice sticks.

image020.jpg

Can you stillremember Mr Pastry, 6.5 Special, The Army Game , Sunday Night at the London Palladium, Emergency Ward 10, the Lone Ranger, Hancock's Half hour, Trigger and Sgt Bilko

image021.jpg

How Many Of These Do You Remember?

Sweet cigarettes

image022.jpg

Coca Cola in bottles.

image023.jpg

You're never alone with a Strand .

image024.gif

Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.

image025.jpg

Blackjacks and bubblegums.

image026.jpgimage027.jpg

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with tinfoil tops.

image028.jpg

Newsreels before the film.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Mayfair 3489). Party lines.

image029.jpg

Peashooters.....

Andy Pandy.

image030.jpg

Real Hi-Fi's , vinyl records & 78's

image031.gifimage032.jpg

Green Shield Stamps.

image033.jpg

Adding Machines.

image034.jpg

Scalextric.

image035.jpg

Do You Remembera Time When..

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?Catching tiddlers could happily occupy an entire day?

image036.jpg

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

image037.jpg

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was'chickenpox'?

image038.jpg

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a catapault?

image039.jpg

Saturday morning television wasn't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

image040.jpg

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

image041.jpg

Cigarette cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

image042.jpg

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

image043.jpg

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

image044.jpg

• Upvote 1

How did we fit it all in? Life always seemed busy, with load's to do....the seasons rolled one into another, punctuated only by school holidays.

We had our own seasons; Conker season, whip & top season, fishing season, cricket season, football season etc

As a little kid we use to wear 'wellies',or canvas 'baseball boots'.We would have a pair of the latter bought at the start of the 6 week summer holidays,at the end they were in shreds and holes worn into the soles.

We would take off for the day,packed sandwiches and 4d to buy a frozen 'jubbly',arriving home filthy,muddy,wet,or a combination of all three,sporting a jam jar with tadpoles,newts,or sticklebacks. All the kids (boys) on the block would be on these expeditions,and they were a daily event, broken by going to Highfields to rent a 'double skuller' rowboat. Four of the gang would go to rent the boat and 6-8 of us would wait on the steps at the middle gates,and then pile in when the boat came.The boat we kept out well over the hour rental,when we saw the guy bearing down on us in the 'Maid Marion,we beached our ship and ran like the clappers,a good afternoon for a 'tanner' each.

I think you must have come from the same stable as me and my gang! We only went to Highfields on rare occasions (usually with our catapults aka Galleys) but the remainder of your narrative describes my youth perfectly.

!cheers! Link broken again. Try this one: thumbsup

Oh! and how many of your gang wore a WW2 tin helmet,pity on the kid who only managed to own the black helmet with the white W painted on it(air raid warden) The rest of the gang would have real 'tin hats',from every nation involved in the conflict.

You've got me there Mudgie - the best I could manage was a WWII gas mask. it used to go with me in war game season, when the "Deep weeds" (Rosebay Willow Herb) were at their tallest and we'd make pathways through the "Jungle" to fight the Japs.

The great thing our generation had was imagination,coming out of the pictures, we took on the role of the hero.

What about the 'dens',spending hours perfecting them.

Ah dens! I spent ages with my kids trying to teach them the art of den building but by the 1970s the kids were beginning to drift towards TV advertised games instead of home-made ones. On the bright side, I had an email from my lad who now has kids of his own, asking for den building instructions and saying how he misses den building and wishes he had made more when he was young.

There was a tree at the end of our road that had a thick, low branch with a couple of bits sticking out at shoulder height when sitting on the branch. This tree became the "Cannonball Express" and we were Casey Jones and the crew. The sticking-out bits were the regulator reverser levers for the driver.

• 3 years later...

I remember the long skipping ropes across the road - usually a washing line, and mums joined in. We also used to play a game which involved crossing the road, one acting as farmer one side and the rest of us asking permission to cross. The 'farmer' told us in turn, such things as two bunny hops or a 'lamp post' ( this was lying down full length and moving over to where your head would be) the first to reach the opposite side was the winner and became 'farmer' for the next go. As you say there was very little traffic to interrupt the game :) we played for hours.