There's a ton of knowledge about the city of Nottingham and its county on here but where are the places you wished you had got around to exploring before now but never have? The ones on your 'to-do' list?

There are a few for me but this one always crops up. I know there are little walking tours of it occasionally but I've never managed one yet. Maybe I'll do it on my own one of these days.

What are yours?

THE ROCK CEMETERY, MANSFIELD ROAD

NTGM007658.jpg

cave+4.jpg

thats one i want to do too stu mum said my grand father and his family grave in there would love to see if i could find it maybe whenthe weather picks up i will take my chair and my wlker trike and see if i can find it

Well if you fancy doing it Babs I would be up for that? I'm pretty experienced with helping with chairs too, love. The place intrigues me and I've been going past it for decades. I'd take my camera and write it up definitely.

I went in the cemetry near Sainsburys on nottingham road looking for my family graves and and twisted my ankle on a Rabbit hole lol found some ancesters tho

Canning Circus graveyard is on our to-do list too

I used to walk through there daily..there are some fascinating memorials in there.It was my intention to photograph some years ago...but at the time it wasn't the sort of area to walk round with a camera.Groups of yobs and druggies everywhere.

yes she met the mad hatter , could do with some of that cake that makes you taller tho !jumping!

Cresswell Crags in the North of the County has been on my 'Bucket list' ever since I worked for Business Post and my deliveries used to take me past there (Just never had time to stop)

Cresswell Crags is not much of a tourist place as there is little to see..but if you have a vivid imagination and an interest in the subject it's a magical place to be...I've been to many of these places in the Peak and Manifold Valley at dawn when no-one is around.Then you can appreciate what it must have been like thousands of years ago.

Nottingham must have been a similar place in those days with the cliffs and forests.Not with the limestone cave systems of Derbyshire.But the river valley must have been overflowing with wildlife and been a favourite hunting ground.Recent finds of a spring/summer stoneage campsite have been found in the Trent Valley near Newark.

Although I get claustrophobia in excessively closed in environments, I really love the underground caves of Nottingham. I understand there is an accessible system under the Peel Street area and I'd love to explore that.

Just searched and found this:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/tpa/caves/m/mc9/index.htm

Not too far away (and maybe connected) I've always been interested in the old sand mine system underneath Mansfield Road in the city:

http://www.pdmhs.com/PDFs/ScannedBulletinArticles/Bulletin%2012-4%20-%20The%20Sand%20Mines%20of%20Nottingham.pdf

Those tunnels under King and Queen street that you mention Stu were discussed in depth on here a few years back, you'll be surprised just how many of them there are .

I wrote to the City Council and got a rather nice reply back from a Mr Chris Capewell

A copy of the letter I sent:-

Dear sir or madam;

My name is Ian Sheppard and I am an ex Nottinghomian living in Cheshire. I belong to a Web Forum of Notts expats world wide at the addresswww.nottstalgia.com please feel free to visit any time as a guest (Or you could even join ,it's free)

Any way to the point ,we have been recently having a discussion about what is under the square and the surrounding areas. We know there is a sizable car park under the council house ( with the lift entrance on the side of the council house) and that there are tunnels under King/ Queen street, but we don't seen to be able to glean any more information from any sources and we wondered if you could help with pictures or just verbal descriptions it would be much appreciated by a group of curious ex pats worldwide

Yours faithfully

Ian Sheppard

And his very nice reply:-

Dear Mr Sheppard

In the late 19th century slums in several areas of Nottingham were cleared and new highways re-built which included tunnels in the centre of the new streets. These service tunnels are at the following locations:-

The full length of the Market Street,

King Street, and Queen Street. These two tunnels join.

Victoria Street, and a short distance along Fletcher Gate.

Wheeler Gate)

Albert Street ) One continuous tunnel

Lister Gate )

None of the tunnels extend under the Old Market Square area; the only remaining underground structure in this area is the plant room for the water feature that was formally the Gents public toilets.

I have copies of inspection reports of the service tunnels that include photographs. In addition we have the original construction drawings of some of the tunnels entitled “removal of unhealthy areas”. If you wish to inspect these drawings or inspection reports, feel free to make an appointment with me when you are next in Nottingham.

Yours sincerely

Chris Capewell

Team Leader (Bridges and Drainage)

Nottingham City Council

Environment and Regeneration

Tel 0115 *******

Fax 0115 *******

So if you play your cards right , I'll give you the phone number ! ............