Any PC whizz kids on here?

If I leave the PC switched on unused for any length of time the screen does this...The mouse is innoperable and I have to switch off at the main switch. Switching back on,sometimes it reappears and I switch off again,sometimes it's normal...

Switching off with the mouse this screen sometimes appears for a minute before the 'no signal' sign appears.

If I set the PC to 'sleep' and come back to it everything is fine.(Say if I pop out to the shops)

I've noticed sometimes switching on that I can feel vibrations from the box..(Fan?) this stops after about a minute.

My son thinks the innards may be full of dust and fluff and it needs a clean out.

Any thoughts?

fe891ecb.jpg

Screen fault or Computer driver fault.

What is the screen model number.

Try Google for others with the same fault?

Is it the screen you have to switch off and on

or the computer?

What happens if you leave the computer running and just switch the screen on and off?

Not really enough info to come to a decision, but they do need an annual clean out, you'd be surprised at how much dust and fluff accumulate inside a computer over time.

You might have the screen power fed from the computer?

Reboot screen only, problem stops = screen fault

Reboot computer, leave screen on, problem stops = Computer fault

If it's a desk top or tower, they do not supply power to the monitor Mick, they either have a built in switching supply, like the one in front of me, or an inline power supply between the plug for 240/120 and the monitor plug, like my wife's.

I do recall a few years back, my wife's office computer was playing up big time, only happened after being on for half an hour or more. She brought it home for me to check out...........I have never seen a computer with so much dust and fluff build up!! The CPU heatsink was blocked! Everything was coated with dust and fluff.

Good vacuum and light brushing out restored it back to full running condition.

If it only happens when left unused I would suspect some sort of power saving fault, this can be complex, use the help program to try to find out which mode your pc is using and what settings are in effect.

If I can work out how to remove the cover I'll have a go at vacuuming the insides.Then see what happens.

Stuff like that is too clever for me mgread.

PS...been on all day...aint gone weird yet today.

Good idea if you're not sure, one static spark can wipe out your CPU and RAM... Plus if it's a software setting problem and you're not sure, you could cause havoc..

It was the monitor...Woke this morning and no light on monitor so at least it gave me a clue what was wrong.Got new one now.

bu99er me...when I got home with the new one there was a fault on Virgin Broadband....Been off all day.Just got it back on at 10pm...never rains but it pours.

Sounds like your monitor has the same problem mine had, CCC, ( Cheap Chinese Capacitors) in the power supply!!

Mine didn't show the same symptoms yours did, but eventually died.

I replaced several electrolytic capacitors with better quality Japanese caps and my monitor is working great for a few more years.

Do you know anyone who can open it it up and check for you??? A visual check will show the tops of the caps as having bulges in the them.

It's best to replace ALL of them in the power supply, about five to seven caps. Material cost??? About a couple of quid, plus a few beers for the bloke who does it for you.

Most monitors have a 3 year warranty .Mine did & was replaced no charge by Samsung ,Actually i ended up with a way better one than i had.

Usually, most things run out of warranty with me, just my luck...