Im fast approaching my upgrade, but I'm leaving the rip offs known as orange, £40 a month for an iPhone 3GS that's on it's last legs that I don't use all that often but for Internet and texting,

So im wondering if any o you lot are on contract, if you have a good deal and who with? I'm thinking about going with Virgin media as they do quite cheap contracts, £17ish for an HTC wildfire... For example.

But then here's my other question, what phone do I get next? Like I said I'm currently with an iPhone 3Gs, that after 24moths I hate and can't wait to 'slam dunk' it in the wheelie bin, or just give it away. I want something with games, next access, something that's reliable and good for music too. I'm thinking about getting a HTC, any opinions in them? Tempted to upgrade to IPhone 4 but I dont want to despise it after a year. I find mine is quite fragile, my handbag was on the floor in a friends garden on the path, now handbags aren't exactly 10feet high... And it slipped off, the whole screen shattered. I got it repaired, I dropped it from about 2 foot onto a shagpile rug, the screen broke again and the digitiser has never worked on one side ofthe phone leaving half the screen paralysed - I recently shattered the bottom half of the screen around the home button when my daughter decided to whack it against her walker.

..... So hoping one of you nice lot can give me some opinions! :) btw - had a blackberry, hated it, never again so no blackberry suggestions lol

I use an HTC Desire HD, Pixie.

I got a deal on the internet through Orange that gives me 200 minutes and unlimited texts a month. There's also 250gb of internet. The cost is £20 per month.

I think this is a great phone. In truth, if budget hadn't come into it I'd have maybe gone for an iphone but this does pretty well what the Apple product does. In fact the internet can use Java so in that respect I'm told it's superior.

It's a large-screened phone - larger than the iphone - but the body of the phone is slim. I enjoy the large screen and use it for internet browsing and emails frequently.

If you want to change from the iphone I'd say these phones are well worth a look.

The other mobile that seems to get quoted in this company I note is the Samsung Galaxy.

i dont use my mobile that much not even for texting so use pay as you go i have had my little phone for over 8 years and its good enough for me only use about 20 pounds per yer its there for emmergencies only now i dont go out to work i dont need it so much we do have a land line my average monthly calls are 7 to 8 pounds so i dont use that much either. i do use my internet a lot more

One of my relations has an HTC desire, they look like good little phones, i think it's around £20 a month too. I usually keep my phone out of reach of Paige, but this one ocasion she got it n decided it was a bangy toy lol! Was looking at the galaxy too, I can't make my mind up! I want something with apps, and good for music, net & games... HTC has the 'widgets' too if I'm right? There quite handy little things. Iv been told getting apps is better organised than the iPhone. Bur whatever phone I decide on, I think I'll be getting a protective 'flip case'

There's a:

Desire

Desire HD

Desire S

There may be other models, Pixie.

Yes, the widgets are great and it's a very easy to use phone. I did my research a few months ago and asked quite a few people also and it came down at that time to the three mobiles I mentioned in the previous post. Of course in a fast moving market there might well be something else their equal now. The Samsungs are made of plastic whilst the HTCs are made of aluminium, I understand.

HTC's sound sturdier in that case, i have two months left on my contract (I think,i must ring and make sure) but like most of my generation i find myself not being able to be without my phone, Although, i dont have much time to just sit there and play on it like i used to. its a shame that most of the mobile phone contracts for smart phones are all 24 months, by 12 months your sick of the sight of the phone and starting to loath the thought of having to use it...

I assume the HTC one is the newer model? Just had a read and it seems like a good little phone, love the sounds of it already.. & for £20 a month, who can complain?

Just been looking at videos on the htc one x series on youtube & the reviews accross the web. Im happy that iv discovered my contract ends July 22nd, iv been waiting for that date for the past year and a half, i can now save myself some money! .. But tempted to stay with orange (After saying how im ending the contract etc) because they have the htc x for £15.00 pm!

I keep my phobile moan for emergancies I bought the thing (pay as you go) in October 2007.

It had £10 on it & I have "topped" it up twice(£10 each time)I still have about £3 left.

My landline seems to be just for emergencies or to ask someone to ring me back lol. I use my phone for pretty much everything, I'm currently on the forum via my phone now! My partner has decided he wants an HTC too, he's got a oldish nokia, although very smart, you can get internet on it but he hasn't set it up so it's mainly for music and pictures, he doesn't text or ring very often because of credit, so were trying to decide between the one x at 39 one off payment and 20.50 a month or the one s at £15.50 a month. Hmmm... Going phones4u in town at the weekend to talk to someone, I want them to buy menout of my contract and set me up with one of theirs.

I keep my phobile moan for emergancies I bought the thing (pay as you go) in October 2007.

It had £10 on it & I have "topped" it up twice(£10 each time)I still have about £3 left.

Same here I was given one in 2007 still have it and have spent about £30 in all that time. It just isn't a part of life like it is for the younger generations.

Agree with what you say, of course. I reckon there's a distinction to be made in the way they're sometimes used though. For me, it's more of a personal organiser/computer in many ways. I make only a few calls, but do use texts often admittedly. I'm just as likely to use the internet on there for information or pleasure, use the calendar application and use the excellent camera on it.

I have bus timetables stored as pdf's for quick reference any time, GPS mapping which has come in very handy now and again, can find local business wherever I am, check my bank account, store Microsoft Word and Excel documents, listen to the radio, play music, use it as a torch or even pray the rosary from there!

For those that like that sort of thing (probably very few on here admittedly before anybody starts debating their merits or lack of!), it's a simple matter to keep in touch with friends on Facebook or Twitter whilst on the move.

Using a simple mobile for emergencies is a great way of utilising the technology undoubtedly, a godsend but for those that want more, there is so much out there. Each to their own needs.

I got rid of my mobile phone; not telling how!

I felt strongly that I was being listened to - trust your instinct.

I value moments of quiet; at a mature age now, I like to think I'm not a slave to anything. :)

I'm not knocking the technology! my daughter is issued with one of the more expensive ones as part of the equipment for her job and neither she or her partner would ever dream of being without them, but were you to ask me what they have and what the attributes were I would not have a clue.

I'm not knocking the technology! my daughter is issued with one of the more expensive ones as part of the equipment for her job and neither she or her partner would ever dream of being without them, but were you to ask me what they have and what the attributes were I would not have a clue.

No, I know bud, apologies if I came over that way as that was not the intention. :)

I recognise that people have very different uses (or not) for them. I can find them as infuriating (particularly in the way they're used) in many ways as most.