Been on the chimney stack.

Finally managed to erect the wideband aerial outside. We have been relying on a Band C indoor aerial leftover from the analogue transmissions, which didn't do the job properly. I was quoted £350 minimum for the fitting, depending upon the cost of the scaffolding. I used a ladder and did it myself for £38 including a benchmarked aerial and strong pole. I made the chimney brackets out of ¼" plate steel that SWMBO had ordered me to throw away some years ago. They are much stronger than the commercial bracket plates, which have a reputation for breaking in strong winds.

The finished product:

IMG_4430.jpg?t=1341826041

I already have the ladder so it was just a matter of waiting for a lesser windy day and then up-and-at-'em! No scaffolding or 'Health & Safety' to pay for.

thumbsup

Can you recall when aerial erectors used to come with a triple extender, a roof ladder so as not to damage the slates, and straddle the ridge to set an aerial up on the chimney, three stories up sometimes??? No safety harnesses back then....

The builders were patching the harling on the centre chimney stack teh other week. Walked up the roof and stood astride the ridge to do the cementing! He was a local one man band with a labourer.

I went onto roof of 2 story ex council house to turn aerial, I froze (as in couldn't move) honestly thought it was going to be a fire brigade job! eventually managed to get down but never again

I've climbed all 284 of the Scottish Munro peaks over 3,000ft and more than half of the 2,500-3,000ft Corbetts but I'm still scared of heights.

There was an article in QST our ham radio magazine a few years back about a team of hams who were also professional tower climbers, they maintain towers and install antennas and feedlines on the towers....By Towers, I'm talking steel mountains!! Try two thousand feet!!!!

They arrive on site, get their gear, including water bottles, food, an empty bottle each, leave that to your imagination...LOL

They use full safety harness and "grilla grips" they are never uncoupled from the tower at anytime either climbing or working!

A climb might take several hours, they take their time going up and down.

A tower job is usually a few hundred bucks an hour each!! Changing that strobe light on top of a 2000 foot tower will cost somewhere in the region of a couple of thousand dollars!!! Cheaper than an FAA and FCC fine though!!

There were some piccies they took from the top of a very high tower.....Not for me!!!!!! They can keep that job!!

Incidently, before climbing, all transmitters are switched off and locked off until the team reach ground level again!!

I now have solar panels on teh roof, soon to be joined by thermal panels. The aerial had to come out of the loft in order to get a proper signal :o(