Taxi Ray, are you aware of this book http://www.ebay.co.u...2#ht_500wt_1156 (I don't know if you can still buy it locally)

I bought it several years ago. It was written in 1994 and the author interviewed a number of old people about their childhood memories at various areas of Nottingham.

Chapter 1 is called "The Bakers of Cherry Orchard"

:) Cliff Ton; only one word to describe you and that's: Remarkable.

Taxi Ray; if you wish to see what 'Cherry Orchard' land looked like, go on 'Picture the Past' and key in: 'Radford Woodhouse, Nottingham - 1920. Here, there's a few photographs of: Radford Bridge Road that led up to Beechdale Road and on into Cherry Orchard. :)

Cliff ton I am not sure if its the same book but I have read something similar, I know my father in laws brother was interviewed for the book as he was a gardener at Wollaton Hall for a long time, they used to live in the small gate house on Derby road near to the Priory roundabout. I will pop into the in laws later as I know that they have a copy.

• 1 year later...

Permission please to stick my oversized nose in here. A few years ago I spent a few hours in the Library at Nottingham and got as much gen on Aspley Hall as possible. It turned out that it was the summer home of the Prior of Lenton Abbey. When the abbeys were dissolved by Amorous 'enry, the hall became disused until it was taken over by the Willoughby family, not the main ones at Wollaton Hall but the Catholic branch of the family at Cossall. As it was illegal to be a Roman Catholic in those days, they kept a secret priest on the premises who used to celebrate mass on Sundays but the family kept a watch in case they were caught. There was, of course, the mandatory priest's hidey hole in the equation.

When the Lords Middleton (who then owned most of Wollaton and loads of the area south of Aspley Lane and north of Broxtowe Lane, sold up all their Nottinghamshire property by auction in the 1920s, the sitting tenant, Alderman Taylor (son of the licensee of the Admiral Rodney at Wollaton) bought it. He lived there and farmed land on what is most of Aspley Estate until his farmland was bought by CPO by Nottm Council for building. He lived out his retirement there until he died. His heirs tried for two years to find a buyer for the Hall but to no avail. It was demolished in 1968. Then they found out that it belonged to Lenton Priory..........

There was also a medieval barn that was also demolished. All that is left is the old farmhouse and the estate workers cottages.

I would like to post some pics but I am still a bit unsure. There was also a love story from the times of the English Civil War connected with Broxtowe Hall. But that is another story.

The octagon hall at Nuthall Temple,Nuthall. The house, which was built in 1757 for Sir Charles Sedley to designs by Thomas Wright, fell into disrepair and was flattened to make way for the M1 motorway There are, however, some remains of the old house, including a dovecote dating from 1759, a pair of bridges and a gate pillar, near where the Three Ponds pub now stands  photo nut1_zpse9309b55.jpg  photo nut2_zpsadf0aacc.jpg