Been looking at a map of Nottm in 1835 which I bought several years ago and forgot about.

On this section you can see Aspley Hall and Broxtowe Hall when they still existed in the middle of open countryside. I've marked the early versions of current roads for reference points.

Aspley Hall was demolished in the late 1960s so there will still be people who remember it, but Broxtowe Hall went in the 1930s.

houses1.jpg

aspley.jpg

Aspley Hall

broxtowe.jpg

Broxtowe Hall

• Upvote 1

That 'two mile house' threw me a bit...they marked it in the wrong place.Should be an inch lower on the other side of the road junction.Two mile houses was the site of the John Barleycorn pub.....as was..

Wonder where it was two miles from?...

Wonder if those fine old homes were featured in this book?

Lost_Houses_of_Notts_s.jpg

'With its famous ‘Dukeries’ area, Nottinghamshire was once home to some of the grandest country houses in the land. Some, such as Welbeck and Wollaton, survive, although many others have been destroyed. Making extensive use of original documentation and photographs, this book presents a gazetteer of Nottinghamshire’s once wonderful country houses.'

--

I've always been quite intrigued by this this place:

nuthall-temple-west-front.jpg

Nuthall Temple

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/monographs/nuthall/nuthall1.htm

Nuthall Temple belonged to the Holden family (who were also landowners in Bramcote), The Temple became surplus to the family requirements and went into decline between the wars. It was sold off and eventually partly demolished in the 1930's. The gateway still remains next to the 3 Ponds PH.

The remains of the building were ultimately cleared when the M1 was run through Nuthall in the mid 1960's.

Viewing Cliff Ton's map of the Aspley & Broxtowe areas @ #1; if you take a look at Aspley Hall and the area below marked 'Pits', this may have been near to the picturesque area known as Cherry Orchard.

This particular place proved tragic for my family:

My grandmother's son Roy, aged 10 fell down a disused well and drowned, whilst out blackberrying with his best friend, the family dog Scruff. This would have been during the 1940's. Years later - 1950's - grandma would always rush us over Aspley Wood land to visit her parents - and 'do for them' - over at Radford Woodhouse. It makes so much sense now as to why she always rushed....................

:) I lived on Temple Drive - the road leading up to Nuthall Temple - for years. A Lovely Road.

Whilst gardening I'd often come across bits of old, white, clay pipes that had probably been thrown down from the coaches heading their way towards the splendid Temple.

I don't know the area, but I think that stone pillar is what littlebro is referring to here

The gateway still remains next to the 3 Ponds PH. The remains of the building were ultimately cleared when the M1 was run through Nuthall in the mid 1960's.

if you take a look at Aspley Hall and the area below marked 'Pits', this may have been near to the picturesque area known as Cherry Orchard. This particular place proved tragic for my family:

My grandmother's son Roy, aged 10 fell down a disused well and drowned, whilst out blackberrying with his best friend, the family dog Scruff. This would have been during the 1940's. Years later - 1950's - grandma would always rush us over Aspley Wood land to visit her parents - and 'do for them' - over at Radford Woodhouse. It makes so much sense now as to why she always rushed....................

:) Does anyone have any information on Cherry Orchard - Aspley Hall / Aspley Lane area, shown on Cliff Ton's map @ #1? :)

orch.jpg

This is 1930s. A bit fuzzy but the Old Maps site isn't like it used to be.

orch2.jpg

This is around 1900. Clearly marked as Cherry Orchard House.

The site is now (approximately) the Chalfont Drive govt buildings