Spending the day in the city centre

Quite often ill fancy just getting out of the house, so ill hop on the bus into the centre... just for the sake of it!. Anyone else on here just go into the centre for a 'day out' of the house? Anything you have to do (like a little tradition of your own) when your in notthingham?

For me, i enjoy having a coffee somewhere with outdoor seating (If the weathers nice enough) and watch the world go by, watch people getting on with their day, i find it quite relaxing. I allways have a walk around the 'older parts' of nottingham too, near the galleries of justice, the castle etc. Not sure why, but its just something i enjoy and its a cheap 'day out' too!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no way brian a prid 3 mobillity scooter sooner be seen on that its got more street gred than the other rubish lol babs

Pixie, you say you struggle in the city with a pushchair, spare a thought for our Vicky Rog

Interesting thread Pixie. A few weeks ago me & Mrs Catfan decided to have a wander around Nottm for the day. Visiting places we had not been to for years, although driven around these areas we ha

I'm glad you enjoy your days spent in the city, Pixie. That's nice that you do.

I used to at one time but increasingly feel a bit jaundiced with the place. I go along there with all good intentions - do a bit of shopping, have a cup of coffee, visit Rob'sRecords etc but these days I find I can't wait to get away from the place. It might be an age thing too but increasingly I find myself much more drawn towards the countryside - having a walk, a cycle, a pint in a pub garden or whatever. It's where I feel happier.

Oh i know exactly what you mean, alot of the time i cant wait to get out but its usually when i have the intentions of shop hopping and shopping. Alot of people are so ignorant and rude, one thing that gets me is when im waiting for a lift in for example vic centre and theres a bunch of people, young and quoite able to walk and are just too lazy to use the stairs or escalator! And im left there having to wait for the lift to return for the 2nd time because i have a pushchair.. Just one of the things that annoyes me about nottingham. Thats why i stick to the older parts where i can enjoy a nice paced walk to admire the old old buildings. But i do enjoy the country side alot more for relaxation, unfortunately i dont drive.. so the closest place and safest to get to is colwick park, wich i visit often with baby to feed the ducks and lounge around with abit of lunch and a book while she has a nap. Lovely jubly.

Yes, you touch on some of the things I don't enjoy about the city these days. I do agree that the older areas like the Lace Market and also up around the Playhouse/Ropewalk area can be a nice stroll.

It's a pit there aren't more green areas for the public in central locations. I guess I'm thinking of the Castle grounds in particular in this, being free to wander in the past but now chargeable.

I'm in two minds about the Old Market Square seaside - what do you/people think?

Iv been told its filthy, a few friends went on a mum and baby meet and they all decied to go there, two of the little boys apparently caught ticks, there was apparently litter and fag ends in the sand. and a friend posted a picture onto facebook of a man having a pee onto it!

Id rather take paige for a walk down the 'Arb' or upto the castle... The castle is still free if you can show a library or bus card to show you live in nottingham :)

Not sure, i was told aslong as i can show i live in nottingham its free, i shown them my 'Easy rider NCT' card and got in for free to the castle and grounds. Although not a huge fan of inside the castle, if they didnt make it into such a museum i think itd be more enjoyable but the grounds are beautiful... some spectacular views up there too!

I like the grounds a lot too and their proximity to the city centre is a real bonus.

I have a feeling that as a Gedling Borough resident (i.e. not city) I have to pay to enter. I'd be interested if anyone can confirm otherwise?

well i live in netherfield... i only have an easyrider bus card i could of used. I think its only £1 otherwise, but the last time i went was about 6months ago. Would it not say on the internet?

Appears to be £5.50 unless you're a city resident with a Citycard, according to this:

http://www.nottingha...=1262#admission

Admission Charges

• Adults - £5.50
  • Concessions (under 16s, over 60s & students) - £4
  • Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children) - £15
  • Groups - 1 free ticket for every 10 purchased
  • City residents with a valid Citycard can gain entry Tuesday - Friday for just £1. These £1 tickets are valid on the day of purchase only.
  • Carers accompanying disabled visitors will remain free of charge.

Oooer, what a rip off!! Whats a city card? Could be a really dumb question.... but i cant think what it is. I cant believe how much their charging to get in, i could understand if it was worth it.

Quite possibley, i think this area comes under Gedling.

I went to visit the castle the last time I had a trip in to Nottingham to take photos. I seem to remember the gate man saying only City centre residents had one of those cards and that I would have to pay. I know it sounds tight but I didn't.....so ended up going round the Park Estate instead. Glad I did, lovely buildings to be found there.

surly pixie if you live in netherfield you would know you come under gedling borough council . stu come in with me on my disabled badge

ive not been to the castle for ages if you fancy comming some fine day ill get a disabled scooter from shop mobility and go in the castle grounds with you you can then stay as long as you like and go in the castle if you wish any day in the week. im a city res so it will only cost £1 for both of us..

Am i right in thinking Park estate is that littke park by the castle with the old houses/buildings? I dont blaim you for not paying, what a rip off!! Try anf borrow someones city card next time ;)

I remember going there as a kid for a picnic, i might have to go for one before the weather starts to turn. What are those houses/buildings? can you access them?

stu come in with me on my disabled badge

ive not been to the castle for ages if you fancy comming some fine day ill get a disabled scooter from shop mobility and go in the castle grounds with you you can then stay as long as you like and go in the castle if you wish any day in the week. im a city res so it will only cost £1 for both of us..

Aw thanks Babs, that's really kind of you. I will take you up on that when I get a bit of free time, thank you.

i dont get into city much but if i do i like to go round the £1 shops as for lifts pixie you should try getting into some of them with the mobility schooter some arnt even big enough to get in on your own you have to go round vic centre to find theones you can use . but i do belive you about people being rude you go along a pavement or through the centres with a scooter and wathch the amount of people who just walk in front of you and then moan if you carnt stop in time at a max 4mph walking pace i tend to go at about 2 mph were there are a lot of people about and even then they still do it. and the people who see you comming and close the shop or centre doors as you get the. i have found its often young teenagers or very elderly people who hold doors open for me and i always make a point of saying thank you very much someone who has been brought up not dragged up.

Er, hang on Pixie.......are you talking about Brewhouse Yard, at the base of the Castle, if you are, that is The Museum Of Nottingham Life and you can visit on Saturdays and Sundays until the end of October...£2:50 to get in.

I might be? some nice old houses on the outside and a lovely grassy bit on the front? where abouts is the park estate you mentioned? & babs, tell me about it!! It really annoyes me when people rush to a lift when they can use the stairs etc, and just look at you when your left to wait for it to come back, i even refused to move and let someone in once, telling them to stop being such a lazy cow! Her face dropped, my other half told me off for it! Lifts are in place for people who arent as mobile, not for these lazy people. Iv had people push my pushchair out of the way, step OVER the pushchair, decided to walk past after looking at me and then having ago at me because its apparently my fault i got their ankles with the buggy.... im not saying because i have a pushchair people should clear a path for me, but itd be nice if people actually had some mannors. Im allways holding doors open, stepping aside for people, waiting for people, i even stopped, turned back and walked back accross a road because an elderly blind man stood at a crossing asking out for help because his dog wasnt responding, people didnt even give him a second thought, so i insisted on him to hold the handle of my pushchair as we slowly walked accross the road, i have never heard anyone so greatful and say thankyou so many times!

the park estate a private residencial estate that used to be very exclusive residents in the past but although its still all residencial many of the houses have now been converted into flats and its now not quite so exclusive as it usedto be but they still have some quite strict rules for its residents. with big fines for those who break them butit is still a public walk way between 8am and 11 pm when gates are locked at certain points and you carnt get through them some even have security guards on from 10pm to 8 am my younger son did this for a while.