Just visible on the previous thread on Bulwell Viaduct is the Bulwell Forest Station. It closed in 1929, does anyone have any info/pics?

Cheers

John

This is all I can find, courtesy of picture the past:

bul1.jpg

bul2.jpg

If referring to my photo of the viaduct there is no sighting of bulwell forest station? (far as I can see, as that station was other side of bulwell common and hucknall lane) I do have some other pics of such and info if in fact we are talking of that station

Agreed...Bulwell Forest station was nowhere near the famous GC Bulwell viaduct.

Reckon the nearest station to it would have been the long defunct Bulwell Hall Halt, which was only in use for about 3 days!

To the left of Picture 1 is Wrigley's Wagon Works, which I can recall being in use during the 50's.

Rather surprising to see it newly ballasted, with flat-bottomed rail and concrete sleepers, on such an underused route.

Could never understand how the GNR visualised passenger patronage, in such a relatively isolated place.

Surely the only circuitous passenger route to Nottingham Vic' would have been via the NSR?

Cheers

Robt P.

It's possible (if he has good blow up facilities) that johnr's viewing Bulwell Market Station? it was fairly straight between there and where the viaduct was. Bulwell Hall Halt was opened on 24 April 1909, during World War I it saw use for troop trains, the troops camping in Bulwell Hall Grounds. That apart it saw little use and the station closed on May 5th 1930, indeed it would have been the closest station to the viaduct being approx 1/2 a mile north west of it.

As regards Bulwell Forest it was built on a mainly goods route that served several local pits as well as well as those further north as it ran to Annesley then on to Mansfield etc however a basic passenger service of 9 going north and 8 south per day ran at one time before services ended on Sept 5th 1931, before and after that nearly all goods and mineral traffic bound for Colwick Yards came via this route inc in BR days (hence new track etc?) until the collapse of Mapperley Tunnel in 1960

On this topic, a couple of references worth looking at, if you've not seen this site before it's a worth a look, make sure you click on 'More pictures here'.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/b/bulwell_hall_halt/index.shtml

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/b/bulwell_common/index.shtml

Meanwhile heres a picture of the station masters house at Bulwell Forest taken in 1977, I presume it isn't there anymore:

bul3.jpg

With regard to the train services on the line Ashley, I quite clearly remember catching an excursion train to Mablethorpe from Daybrook Station in the 50's.

At this point I've just dug out my Nottingham Victoria Depertures Poster for 1957 and note the service from Vic, High Level, Netherfield, Gedling, Daybrook, Basford North, not very frequent, I'll pin this thing to the wall and try and photgraph it, some of the services are amazing.

I've tried to photograph the poster, not to good, but you can see some of the services:-

vic.jpg

vic002.jpg

vic004.jpg

vic003.jpg

Clearly by then no passengers trains were running up the Leen Valley GN line through Bulwell Forest, either terminating at Basford North or Daybrook, I'm surprised that they didn't run through to Friargate.

Theres that pushbike again.......wonder how many photos on 'picture the past' that pushbike is in........if anyones REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY bored and wants to count them let me know....Ta !

Superb departure poster...thanks for sharing.

Much to digest over the week-end!

Had quite forgotten the variety, and frequency, of Vic' workings!

Puts today's Nottingham station "services" to shame...

"West Hallam to Little Bytham day return, please..."

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob

If you can't read all the services very well I'll photo it in sections and e-mail them to you, I used to have a similar one for Midland Station from 1960 but it seems to have vanished.

Meanwhile on the question of interesting day returns, how about this one:

vic-1.jpg

I think that you'd need to get slaughtered in a Dublin bar in order to face the journey back. Given the value of the pound in those days, whatever it was, I wonder how that compares to a current day trip on Ryanair.

My dad went on that trip! though at latest 1959, can't recall much about it except he visited Guiness works and had promised grandma a bottle of it from there, can't remember whether he forgot, dropped if or drank it! but didn't have one, bought one locally to trick her only to find label was different however he had a boolet from the brewery with full size illustration of label c/w with "made in dublin" or whatever, rememember him cutting such out with razor blade and glueing to the "local" bottle, lol, funny what you remember? bet in years to come my kids will say "me mam and dad went to spain on the bus"!

Rob

If you can't read all the services very well I'll photo it in sections and e-mail them to you...

Thanks for the offer, but I've kept them as Documents for 'zooming in'...

Vaguely recall this daily 07.33 KX working. IIRC, usually a Colwick B1 to Peterborough where a New England Pacific/V2 took over for the final 80 mile 'sprint'

Also reminded that the Cutler relief ran ahead of the main train, which - contrary to other regions - was always usual GC practice. Note the 09.30-10.30 'quiet hour', with just two Grantham stoppers only!

Add the many passing 'Windcutters',terminations,regular parcels traffic,soccer specials, Woodford-Dringhouses vans and the Whitland 'fast fish' and the non-stop action (except around 10am!) would be complete...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Agreed...Bulwell Forest station was nowhere near the famous GC Bulwell viaduct.

Reckon the nearest station to it would have been the long defunct Bulwell Hall Halt, which was only in use for about 3 days!

To the left of Picture 1 is Wrigley's Wagon Works, which I can recall being in use during the 50's.

Rather surprising to see it newly ballasted, with flat-bottomed rail and concrete sleepers, on such an underused route.

Could never understand how the GNR visualised passenger patronage, in such a relatively isolated place.

Surely the only circuitous passenger route to Nottingham Vic' would have been via the NSR?

Cheers

Robt P.

sorry to appear pedantic but the track in picture 1 is bullhead rail on concrete sleepers,there is, might be was after recent work, a section on the Skeggie line between Allington and Barkston of bullhead on concrete.

The ballast condition is not that unusual as there would probably have still been a lengthman for that section as it was still operational, and many of them took great pride in maintaining their patch.

Rigleys was still working, at least as a breakers after 1963 when I went to high Pavement school, there were a number of O2's parked in batches from Leen Valley Junction back to Edwards Lane, waiting to be hauled in for breaking.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the offer, but I've kept them as Documents for 'zooming in'...

Vaguely recall this daily 07.33 KX working. IIRC, usually a Colwick B1 to Peterborough where a New England Pacific/V2 took over for the final 80 mile 'sprint'

Also reminded that the Cutler relief ran ahead of the main train, which - contrary to other regions - was always usual GC practice. Note the 09.30-10.30 'quiet hour', with just two Grantham stoppers only!

Add the many passing 'Windcutters',terminations,regular parcels traffic,soccer specials, Woodford-Dringhouses vans and the Whitland 'fast fish' and the non-stop action (except around 10am!) would be complete...

Cheers

Robt P.

I went on the train to Kings Cross once, it went to Grantham behind a N2 tank, more coaches were added at Grantham and A4 60010 (I think) Dominion of Canada to London. don't know what year proberbly about 1959.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

As a kid growing up on Andover rd Bestwood est,i obviously remember the line that Bulwell Forest station was on,in the 50s to my recollection it was purely( mostly) Coal trains,it ran thru/past Rigleys Wagon works,and whilst i dont recall the station i believe i was adjacent to Rigleys,and at the time Bulwell golf course had a Ladies club house on the same side of the road as Rigleys,this i do remember and the steps into it are still there.,and i believe the Station was there.

Although i state that the line in my days was purely a goods line,i recall my Railwayman Dad talking about the Master Cutler' being diverted along the line sometime in the early 50s,after a derailment on Bulwell common sidings or Station,...........and just as an aside i think my Dad caused it......lol.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ian,as ive mentioned before on here my Dad was no handy-man' and was prone to 'clumbsy' and ive inherited most of it,...i know if he reads this in the great 'shunting yard' in the sky he'll have a right chuckle bless him...........

On this topic, a couple of references worth looking at, if you've not seen this site before it's a worth a look, make sure you click on 'More pictures here'.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/b/bulwell_hall_halt/index.shtml

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/b/bulwell_common/index.shtml

Meanwhile heres a picture of the station masters house at Bulwell Forest taken in 1977, I presume it isn't there anymore:

bul3.jpg

With regard to the train services on the line Ashley, I quite clearly remember catching an excursion train to Mablethorpe from Daybrook Station in the 50's.

At this point I've just dug out my Nottingham Victoria Depertures Poster for 1957 and note the service from Vic, High Level, Netherfield, Gedling, Daybrook, Basford North, not very frequent, I'll pin this thing to the wall and try and photgraph it, some of the services are amazing.

Sorry about the long quote,did'nt know how to shrink it...........Firbeck the station Masters house is still there,it was at the side of the former Bulwell common station on St.Albans rd,its a wonder its still standing as the plane that crashed was less than 100 yards away in 1950/51...........i remember going to see a mr Tyler ? there with my Grandad in the early 50s,Grandad was Secretary of the NUR back then.

The house on St Albans Rd, is the former Bulwell Common Station Masters house.

The Bulwell Forest one was demolished many years ago.

Thats right fly,.........the one on St.Albans road is where i went with my Grandad,don't know if Mr Tyler was the station Master.

Surely the nearest 'station' to Bulwell Forest station would have been Bestwood Halt, which was in effect just around the corner along Bestwood Road?

Like Benjamin, I grew up playing in the fields opposite Southglade Road, Bestwood Est., and saw the fairly infrequent trains along that section of the Leen Valley line.

from the early 1950's to the 1960s.

Col

• Upvote 1

I presume Rigleys and the station was where the little industrial estate now is, and stretching north to Tescos.