Haunted Nottingham - Andrew James Wright

Just reading this book, authored by Andrew James Wright, received as a gift.

I have no professed belief one way or the other about these things but it's an entertaining read and is throwing up some interesting tales I've heard over the piece, going right back to childhood. Some well known and some less so. The book is curious in some ways. It speaks from a viewpoint of ghosts being 'factual', but once one gets over that it's a very readable little book.

One expects to hear the old stories about the likes of Newstead Abbey, The Salutation and so on but perhaps some of the more interesting stories are set in fairly ordinary situations and settings such as many of us here have been in like the old Hippo Club, The White Hart at Lenton, the (now closed) Works Nightclub in the Cornerhouse and areas such as Mansfield Road and Canal Street.

One of the sections is entitled Georges Hill after the road that leads down from Dorket Head to Calverton. I've long heard this tale (and doubtless it has been related here) but basically many travellers have 'witnessed' strange dark apparitions appearing in people's path, blocking the road, chasing them or even on occasion sitting in the back of their car! I first heard this tale as a child and still to this day know one or two people that check the back seat of the car when travelling that road!

So what's your favourite local ghost story?

Just having a zip around the net and came across this story that rang a bell. Anyone else remember this crazy story? Sounds more like the effects of hallucinatory drugs!

Sixty Gnomes in Cars

Type: Fairy

Date / Time: September 1979

Further Comments: Appearing to several children, these friendly gnomes sat two per car and playfully chased the children around the park. The wee fellows looked 'like Noddy', but with white beards. The cars moved without sound.

http://www.paranorma.../nottingham.php

Now I like to think of myself as being broad minded, Gnomes in cars ?? come on where did they get them from ? The Fairey aviation company ?

Must be a Wollaton thing. ;)

I liked the fact that the cars apparently 'moved without sound'. Obviously pre-dating today's hybrid motors by quite a few years. Well done for thinking of the planet, the gnomes!

RE WHITEHART HAUNTINGS.

NOT READ THE BOOK BUT WHITE HART IS SAID TO HAVE A FEW DIFFERENT GOSTS I HAVE NERVER SEEN ONE BUT ON A COUPLE OF OCCATIONS HAVE FELT SOMEONE TAP ME ON MY SHOLDER AND NO ONE HAS BEEN ANYWERE NEAR ME, ALWAYS SAY EY UP BILLY DO YOU WANT MY EMPTY CLASS. SOME ARE SAID TO BE GOSTS OF THE PRISONERS WHO DIED IN THE PRISON AND NOT ALL ARE SAID TO BE NICE, STOPPED AT THE HART A FEW TIMES IN THE PAST BUT NEVER SAW OR HEARD ANYTHING, ONE GUY I KNOW WAS ALONE UPSTAIRS IN THE SIXTIES PAINTING THE WALLS IN THE PYCODELIC STYLE WHEN HE HEARD FOOTSTEPS AND FELT SOMETHING TOUCH HIM . TURNED ROUND NO ONE TO BE SEEN AND HE WAS AT THE BOTTOM END OF THE ROOM FAR FROM THE DOOR. PERHAPS LIKE ME THE GOST DID NOT LIKE THE NEW DECOR.

Babs

The White Hart seems to have a really interesting past. According to this book it was originally a 17th century farm. Apparently in 1809 it was bought and turned into the White Hart Coffee Rooms which was a novelty at the time. At some point after that it became a debtors' gaol as you mentioned. The book also relates that upstairs there is still a leather stretching machine which was used in the work of rehabilitating inmates. The gaol, it says, became a pub after gaol closed in 1897.

This book (2006) quotes relief manager, Stuart walking into 'something' (a figure of a man) whilst descending the office stairs in the older part of the building. There were also reports of a child singing and running around amongst other incidents.

HI STU

LEATHER STRECHER IS STILL THERE THOSE OF US WHO KNOW ITS THERE CALL IT THE RACK ALTHOUGH WE KNOW WHAT IT REALLY IS. NOTTINGHAM USED TO HAVE QUITE A BIG LEATHER INDUSTRY AS WELL AS LACE WORKS , A LOT OF THE INMATES WORKED AT THE COFFEE HOUSE AS WAITERS GARDNERS ECT TO EARN THERE KEEP AND HOPEFULLY EARN SOME TOWARDS PAYING OF THERE DEBTS ENABLING THEM TO GET OUT OF THE PRISON THERE IS QUITE A LOT OF DIFFERENT INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF THE WHITEHART AT ONE TIME WERE THE CAR PARK IS, IT WAS GARDENS AND A BOWLING GREENIT POSIBLY HAD LARGE WALLS ALL THE WAY ROUND IT THE HORSE AND CARRAGE MOUNTS ARE STILL OUTSDE THE FRONT DOOR PROTECTED BY A PRESIVATION ORDER.

A few years ago we lost the tv remote, we searched all the rooms could not find it then 3 days later as we was sitting on the settee i noticed the tv remote on the chair was sticking out from under the cushion, we both said we did not put it under the cushion, who did then? over the years more thinks happen , turned off the lights gone to bed got up in the morning lights on? heard a voice , some items moved around who is it. somtimes smell fag smoke? 10 years ago my mam died and she smoked. is it her who knows .We are used to it now. i don't believe -in after live or ghost so who or what is it. A coincidence who knows.

Lovely stuff, thank Babs, I had no idea about any of that at the Hart. You obviously know an awful lot of stuff about the place and it's history.

If you search "White Hart" in Picture the Past they have a lot of photos and illustrations of the place at various times in its history, including the walls and gardens and prison which Babs mentioned in her post

Wollaton Park? September? I wonder if the gnomes were wearing Liberty Caps. (Psilocybe Semilanceata)

Is it stormy today up there too?

Compo in Caithness

Hi Compo, it was gusting to Force 10 last night, today not much wind and plenty of sunshine. The Northern Lights are showing quite regularly on the few clear nights, so keep looking to the North. Not just greens either. Nice red and green the other night.

used to belong to lentonton commuitee centre committee and we started a littile news letter that became the lenton times and this later became the lenton listner, always full of lots of interesting history of lenton and old lenton .old lenton the area around the white hart and the priory church of st antony has lots of history attached to it old lenton included the old lenton abbey,.and the monks who lived there priory house the only part of nazereth house still standing i belive its now apartments and the house we lived in wich was orriginally a farmhouse part of priory estate was built as one house but soon converted to the two it was when we lived ther even had a forge in the garden now converted back to one house having always had an interest in social history i collected quite a lot ofinformation on the area and have some about white hart as afarmhouse coffee house gaol and a pub somewere in all my stuff because i am a horder and like to keep this as i neverer know when i might need to refer to it. the lenton listner can be found on googgle and makes some interesting reading i think it only comes out about twice a year now due it not having the voluntary help to produce it any more than that it used to be a monthly issued booklet shame its not any more.

Hi Compo, it was gusting to Force 10 last night, today not much wind and plenty of sunshine. The Northern Lights are showing quite regularly on the few clear nights, so keep looking to the North. Not just greens either. Nice red and green the other night.

WARNING - OFF TOPIC!................ Snowing here today. Only seen the lights once this winter so far :o(

weather here in nottingham has been very wet and windyovernight had some bright spells today but not been out so today dont know what the tempritures have been like.

P & B: I once stayed at a house in Lenton which I believe had been part of the priory. The owner told of a monk-like ghost but I never saw him.

Not Nottingham but I can link it to Notts:

I have mentioned in another thread that I did a ouija board when I was an apprentice, living in Annesley (my link to keep on topic) and after spelling out the name Wilford Wilson and telling us that he was from Spondon had been hung in 1869 (almost sure of the date) for murdering his wife and children, the glass flew off the table and smashed against a wall. That was very scary indeed!

Now....Is there a genealogist or family tracing expert on this forum who would like the task of verifying that story?