Newstead Sanatorium

Does anybody know if this hospital is still operating ( :laugh: )

I and several other blokes were sent there from City hospital for recovery and waiting to get our stitches out because the city was overcrowded.This was in 1966.

Behind the hospital was what seemed to be a farmers field with a well worn pathway down one side.

We were told by one of the staff that there was a nudist camp at the far end of the field but we couldn't see nowt.

Just wondering :rolleyes:

Baz :ninja:

Newstead Sanatorium is long gone, bazza. The land has had large homes built on it for I'd guess fifteen years or more. The filed you describe is still intact and the footpath to the side is still there leading from the Blidworth/Kirkby Road to the foot of Newstead Abbey's main drive.

I've long heard of a nudist community inside Newstead Abbey's grounds but never witnessed it!

My late mum was in the sanatorium in the 1950s with TB before I was born. she spent 18 months in there. I remember one of her recollections was the big French/patio doors that lead out on to a balcony looking over that field. They used to leave them flung open in all conditions to 'cure' Tuberculosis. She said that on more than one occasion her and fellow patients woke to snow on their beds.

Thanks you guys.

I wonder why they would demolish an institution that did so much good for TB and cancer patients.

Chasing the quids I suppose.

We had a rare old time while in there.I was a smoker at that time and when the doc was due to make his rounds the nurses would race around trying to get rid of the smell(not just me)so they wouldn't get in trouble for letting us smoke.

We were on the ground floor in the recreation room one day playing billiards when one of the chest patients came in and started asking for a ciggie.It turned out he had terminal cancer and couldn't see the point in abstaining as he was dying anyway.Poor sod.

Some of the other people actually had their clothes in there with them and would sneak out at night and catch a bus to a pub in Mansfield.My missus wouldn't bring my gear in.I've never forgiven her for that.

Baz :ninja:

• 8 years later...

My Mum caught TB in there after being sent to recuperate after my Gran nursed her through a possible anthrax contamination, her 13 friends were not so lucky at that time the all died at the time. Mum died in 1951 when I was 8.