Plimo's in summer, wellies in winter

Remember them 'special things' our parents would make us kids wear.................?.

Balaclavas

Socks as mittens (snowballing)

Gloves joined together by string up one sleeve & down t'other................

Aged 5 Mother made me a warm hood to wear...it tied under the chin. Walking back home from school I heard a woman talking about me to her kiddie..."This little girl...Oh! it's not a little girl, it's a little boy....." :blush:

That hood disappeared over someones hedge...I told Mum I'd lost it. :biggrin:

:) Every Winter my mum knitted my sister and myself, colourful mittens. Anyone remember the 'Tale of the Three Little Kittens'?:

Three little kittens

They lost their mittens

And they began to cry:

"Oh Mummy dear, we've lost our mittens."

"You've lost your mittens?

You naughty kittens!

Then you shall have no pie!" pieinface

At age about 3 I had a hat like a padded cloth helmet, with a peak at the front and ear flaps. It buttoned under the chin. Dad always reckoned I looked like Shackleton setting off for the South Pole.

Talking of hats with peaks reminded me of a line from a monologue of Billy Bennett (Almost a Gentleman) - no, I'm not actually old enough to remember Billy Bennett - look him up on the internet if you don't know. "You'll notice I'm wearing two peaks to my hat - it's a new kind of hat they're inventing; but when folks look at me they can never agree if I'm going, or coming, or wenting."

Me older brother, when 'e were a baby in 'is pram, used to have to wear a gas mask, not to keep cold out................but me mam says it was

'cos he were an ugly little bu99er!! & she couldn't bear to look at 'im when pushing pram.........................

• Upvote 3

Shorts untill you were 11 years old, you only wore long trousers for the big school, and home made pullovers, they were always striped, because she ran out of wool before she finished it, so she finished the pullover with whatever she had left in her work basket........

Once at school in the 1960s, I lost my football boots, so I had to wear my dads old football boots, they were 1940s style boots.........

• Upvote 1

When my mum was alive she used to knit a lot and got a job doing some mohair fancy patterned jumpers for this designer woman who sold them to the Japanese at a huge profit !

Anyway when a jumper was done there was always some odd wool left as each pattern and colours was different.

Mum, being thrifty, used to make up these jumpers for my kids using the odd colours left over. They looked like little multi coloured bumble bee's !

My twin girls also had the mittens with thread through the arms, so they didn't lose one !

\snip\ I had to wear my dads old football boots, they were 1940s style boots.........

Me too. Old brown leather ones with composite leather studs. They weighed a ton when wet!

I still wear wellies on a daily basis.

1) They are better than bicycle clips in that they keep out water as well as protecting the trouser legs.

2) They are durable.

3) They are easy to put on and remove.

4) They are comfy.

5) They don't call me Compo fer nowt.