Deserted Nottingham Streets

In the late 50's early 60's, on a Sunday morning I used to cycle from Ruddington to see relations on Comyn Street and Freeman Street and really enjoyed cycling through the centre of Town about 10.00 in the morning as I was one of the very few people around and about at that time. You were able to get a totally different feel for the City without the crowds during the week, and I can only recall the only shop open apart from the corner shop was Capocci's on Huntingdon Street serving coffe and snacks and chocs and sweets.

A far cry from the 24/7 world that exists today.

Fantastic picture Cliff Ton . . . Another view of Nottingham sadly demolished and buried under the heap of Steel and concrete that is known as the 'Broadmarsh Shopping Centre'.....Many thanks for posting

I know that feeling; the city centre early Sunday morning is a strange, almost ghost-like place.

When I read your piece I immediately thought of this which I'd seen before on Pic the Past. Lister Gate in the 1950s

lister-1.jpg

I think the picture could even be late 40s as the "Walter Fountain " is still in place(demolished 1950)

It looked a "little" wet too. ;)

The subject reminded me of a few photos I took at the beginning of the century. These were taken early in the morning of 1st January 2000, when the 21st century was only a few hours old. The streets are empty because most people were still recovering from the night before.

cast1.jpg

Castle Boulevard looking towards Lenton

radf1-3.jpg

Radford Road from the junction at Bentinck Road

bouv1.jpg

Radford Boulevard looking towards the junction with Gregory Boulevard

Cliff Ton, what I find interesting is that 2 of the 3 pics' have mature trees lining the roadsides, I wonder when they were planted & what was the initiative for planting in the first place, Nottingham can still boast many tree lined roads, not least of all the ring road from Sherwood to Dunkirk.

Well done someone on the Council, who has an active role in preservation of these lovely trees....................

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton,

Any remote chance that you took any photos along Castle Boulevard that included the Shell Petrol Station?

It used to stand were the Park Apartments are now. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Trevor S, I think we've had this discussion before!

Unfortunately, the Shell station missed getting into my camera. I have various photos of both ends of Castle Boulevard, but nothing in the middle. I think I sent you a few shots of the rock holes at the back of the buildings, but they were the wrong holes (for you).

Yet coincidentally, I've lived in the apartments opposite the ex-petrol station, and I knew someone who lived in the one of the houses in The Park directly above the station - so I've probably looked down on it!