Forest sack O'Driscoll

Nice little Christmas present for the Forest boss after a good 4-2 win against Leeds United today.

Forest have been inconsistent of late but surely he deserved more of a chance than that. Ridiculous.

Indeed, Braddy.

I remember the club's owners saying they were going to bring in a 'big name' just before they appointed the fairly modest (but nevertheless sensible) O'Driscoll. This time it's 'an ambitious manager with Premier League experience' they require. What a load of BS.

The managerial merry-go-round at Forest, Notts and further afield is nonsensical and counter-productive. Managers come in, make their changes and hardly ever seem to be afforded the opportunity to see the job through. Football is so short-termist nowadays.

Amongst all the rent-a-manager options out there, one could almost guarantee that the likes of Roy Keane would go the same way pretty quickly. What on earth is it with clubs and former players-as managers anyway. They have a poor ratio of success.

I foresee a few stormy seas for Nottingham Forest under these owners.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that O'Driscoll had been sacked was the comments on the Notts County thread from the 20th December 'Notts County Dumped Out Of The F.A. Cup'. Beefsteak stated that all was not right behind the scenes at Meadow Lane (#5) and Stu replied that rumours were circulating about Forest (#6). It's turned out that the rumours were correct. I thought that Forest played well against Leeds after a shaky start and were well on top in the second half. The two goals they conceded were really poor defending and this has been a problem for them.

So it's Alex McLeish

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

Good luck with that, Forest. I have first-hand memories of him at my club. He also has a similar pattern at several clubs.

He had the biggest player budget in the history of the club - something the club are still paying for now. He put a decent side on the park but it would have been a sin if he hadn't. When things began to go wrong he secretly engineered his exit from the club for several months. There were also many issues around his running of the club which were dodgy and unreported. Witness his nickname 'Teflon Don'. He left the team in free-fall and the club in an absolute mess.

McLeish is an exploitive character. He will stay at Forest as long as he's welcome - until another better offer comes along when he will begin digging his escape tunnel.

I felt Sean O'Driscoll seemed a decent and principled man. Perhaps there really is no place for those qualities in professional football nowadays though.

• Upvote 1