Hey folks - only just heard of this site - over on the Facebook 'Nottingham' page.

An avid reader of local history, fancier of awful rusty vehicles, enthusiastic supporter (and player) of local music, aging punk rocker.

Consistently frustrated by barred and gated entry to the more interesting under and overground places of interest!

Always been into Urb-Ex, and general random exploring.

Nottingham defo the best city for it that I've lived in (4+ years) so far.

Came here via Belfast, Bradford and Leeds.

Hello to yez!

I cannot tell a lie, but it was I who posted the links to this site, welcome on board IrishDIY and here's to a load of memories from you.

(At a guess I'd say it was the link on the Welbeck picture that you found us by.)

I won't make so rude as to wish you "top of the morning" as that's like saying "Ayup me duck to someone from Essex !

Welcome Irish.......I can't wait to hear your stories, bet they're interesting!! You're right Nottingham IS defo the best City........

Someone had posted a pic and mentioned us, so I slipped a linky in, glad somebody else spotted it !

Nice one for replies folks! Very very glad to find this site! Am getting a bit of a name fer meself as a history nerd. Guess I'm not on my own eh?

• Upvote 1

One flew over the cuckoo's nest, springs to mind...............................it's good 'ere, 'cos the lunatics have taken over this asylum.................. :crazy:

Just wait till Mick gets 'ere................... :tease: be careful, he may try to pretend he's sane, this week 'e are mainly bein'.................Santa

:) "Evening all"; saw the man himself: Jack Warner ('Dixon of Dock Green') last night on the TV.

He was starring in a World War 11 Drama: 'Carve Her name With Pride'; about the life of British secret agent: Violet Szabo. :)

:) Hi Gibbo, that's the one.

Violet was so brave, committed to her country, despite suffering terrible torture. I'm sure the film must have been entirely based on fact: Violet and two other female, British, secret agents were ordered by Hitler to be shot dead in a pit, not long before the war ended.

In March, 1947, Violet's little girl was awarded the George Cross - on Violet's behalf - by King George. :mellow:

Fair play folks, although I must say that much is being made of my posts to come...

I dunno what I'd post about just yet! Am very much enjoying everyone elses bits and pieces, and still playing catchup I guess.

I'll be lurking around here and sniping in once in a while fer now...

:biggrin:Welcome IrishDIY. Here's a bit of the blarney now - me, meself having a fair drop of the Irish blood flowing through my veins - I apologise for getting a bit carried away with the title of your topic: "Evening All" - Jack Warner was on the TV last night and I haven't seen him for yonks!! He was a favourite of mine - 'Dixon of Dock Green' - when I was a kid. :biggrin:

Welcome IrishDIY.

My last experience of Irish DIY was on a course with a guy from the Garda,

After visitations to the bar, I was dragged into his room and a mug was thrust into my hand.

Then there followed some kind of ceremony with 'Jameson's' Sugar and a kettle.

That night I arose to go to the loo, collapsed knocking myself out on the urinal!

Apart from that, I have been normal for the majority of my life.

If anyone says any different, I originate from good Cork stock

Mick2me

I'm sure a couple of your own memories of Northern Ireland wouldn't go too awry.

On a Nottingham forum? Hmmmm....

Like I said it wouldn't go amiss. Comparisons to then in Belfast and the now in Nottingham.

welcome irishdiy we all love to hear each others childhood memories and the games we played specialy me did you play the same kind of games in irland as we did in nottingham or are there things you played that you have never seen or heard of here that you played

:) Hi Irish, I took my first trip to the Green and Pleasant Land a few years back.

I was mighty surprised that the surname: Jackson was quite common, more so in Northern Ireland. My guess is that the name was taken there around the 18th Century by the English Landowners. Do you have any knowledge of this? :)