HMV to call in receivers

Maybe the Plastic Shoe Shop would have survived longer if they had sold shoes that actually kept the wet out instead of the cheap but nasty rubbish.You don't expect top quality at their prices but you do expect something that will last longer than a month.

Guess who decided to buy HMV vouchers as prezzies for nephews & nieces this year, all of them love music.

The management at HMV just carried on selling vouchers right up to Christmas, then announce bankruptcy in early january, ..............something not right about this one................love to know what the takings were in Nov/Dec'..............must have been 50% in vouchers

madashell

And now, it seems, Premiere Travel and their buses. I'm sure they provide a useful service for some people, and I've never been on one of their buses, but most of their vehicles look a bit battered and dirty and old. Like they picked up any old bus/coach which was lying around and put it into service.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Troubled-bus-company-brink-administration/story-17958650-detail/story.html

Premiere Travel provide an invaluable service to villages like Lambley, Woodborough, Epperstone etc. I think it would create a problem for quite a few, particularly older folk if their services were not continued.

On another note, if we're to believe the Nottingham Post (which can be a bit of a stretch) it appears that rumours of the death of Nottingham's city centre may have been greatly exaggerated:

Figures prove Nottingham is still a big draw for shoppers

And now, it seems, Premiere Travel and their buses. I'm sure they provide a useful service for some people, and I've never been on one of their buses, but most of their vehicles look a bit battered and dirty and old. Like they picked up any old bus/coach which was lying around and put it into service.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Troubled-bus-company-brink-administration/story-17958650-detail/story.html

I think that's a real shame.

If they do disappear, at least they gave it a good go. They operated frequent services to Long Eaton, Hucknall. Bingham, Loughborough etc. and at fares a good deal cheaper than the big boys. That's what competition is supposed to be about. Trent operate a good service but it's VERY expensive, yet they win again.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted, dig a bit deeper in your pockets when they've gone!

Premiere Travel provide an invaluable service to villages like Lambley, Woodborough, Epperstone etc. I think it would create a problem for quite a few, particularly older folk if their services were not continued.

I guess these will be tendered services on contract to the county council, so they will likely be put up for new bids rather than just dropped. Down here our local shopper's bus has been run by three different operators in the 9 years since we came, and I have to say the present company is by far the best we have ever had. They have invested in two new hybrid buses (sound like trolleybuses except under hard acceleration when the diesel does its bit). The company is based on high Dartmoor (and does a school contract run on the way to take up the town service). In the recent bad weather we thought they would be snowed in, but they turned up without fail.

I'm sure you're right about the tendered services, Stephen. Looking at the numbers, it would be hard to imagine how the services to those villages I mentioned could pay for themselves

Premiere obviously do well in certain areas - as Stu has mentioned, but they are less successful in others.

They have at least one service which goes through Gamston/West Bridgford towards Keyworth and beyond. They use any old bus (sometimes the large coaches similar to those used by National Express) which are any colour, un-branded, and with just a hand-written notice in the window saying what they are. Even at peak times, I've never seen more than 3 or 4 passengers on them; I've thought for a long time that they can't be operating at any kind of profitable level. I'm amazed they've survived this long.

No, I'm making the same point as you really, Kev. For instance the 'Red 7' as they call it which goes through those villages appears a good little service, if infrequent, but I just can't see the small amount of passengers that use them making the services profitable independent of other funding. They tend to run about one an hour during the day a few later in the evening but they are never full of passengers that I observe.

Incidentally I see TrentBarton have offered to let people use their Premiere tickets on their services as of today.

No, I'm making the same point as you really, Kev.

Same difference :)

I think the point I should've made - and forgot last time - is that although the Premiere coaches are travelling with 3 passengers, the TrentBarton service, which follows roughly the same route, is fully stocked with passengers.

And ready to mop us the spoils by the look of things:

-----

Premiere tickets for travel with trentbarton – free travel for a limited time and free ticket exchange available

Given the queries we have received from Premiere Travel customers, we are taking steps to ensure that Premiere ticket holders can travel with trentbarton for a limited time and exchange their tickets for a trentbarton equivalent.

If you have a valid Premiere ticket, just show it to our driver who’ll accept it for free travel on any trentbarton bus within the same validity area or on along a similar route. We will honour these tickets for a limited time only.

We can also exchange your Premiere ticket for you free of charge on trentbarton saver passes up to a month duration. We can also swap your 10-trip tickets.

Our saver tickets allow unlimited rides with trentbarton in areas served by Premiere – see www.trentbarton.co.uk/saver for more info.

Where can I swap my tickets?

• 7 day and 10 trip tickets: Our drivers on the bus can accept and exchange tickets up to one week or 10 trips in length.

• Monthly tickets or those of longer duration: Our team at the trentbarton shop at Broadmarsh Bus Station can exchange monthly tickets for a saver free of charge. Any tickets of higher value can be traded in and used to partly pay for trentbarton saver season tickets of similar validity.

Still unsure or need further help?

Do give us a call on 01773 712265. Our team can talk through your individual options.