• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

old ace paid a suprize visit to whitehart on thursday night said it took them 15 and a half hours to get across on the ferry from shetland to aberdeen instead of usual 12 hours at the rate this weathe

I really hope that was a poor attempt at a joke on your part. Because, as you've never had kids of your own, you will never, ever, be able to appreciate the pain we will all go through tomorrow when

We got back to the Auld Rock OK. The weather here is sunny with a slight frost at night. When we were in Notts I had hoped to visit Wollaton Park, but decided against it because of the ice underfoot.

Last night at 20.30 I went to fetch SWMBO from work it was -5 and there was three inces of snow down. I took her back in at 07.45 and it was +8 and no snow ...................... What's that all about ?

So much for the tenner I spent on that bloody sledge yesterday !!

• 2 weeks later...

NO SNOW HERE BUT RAINED HEAVY IN THE NIGHT STILL RAINING AFTER DINNER SO FED UP DECIDED TO GO OUT FOR A DRIVE FOR HOUR OR SO LEFT HERE 2.5 C HEADED UP TO DERBYSHIRE UP TO BAKEWELL STILL RAINING BUT NOT SO HEAVY UP TO MONY ASH LITE SNOWON THE FIELDS MINUS 1C HEDING BACK TOWARDS HOME VIA ASHBOURNE AND BELPER MANY PARTS OF THE ROADS WERE FLOODED BUT NO WARNINGS ANYWERE .

On the subject of snow in Nottingham, can anyone remind me what year it was when a particular kind of heavy, wet snow brought down all the power lines in the area and all the electricity was cut off for most of Nottingham? I think it must have been between about 1982 and 1992 but I can't remember when.

The main trouble it caused, apart from simply not having any electricity in the home was that it meant the water supply was cut off because there was no power at the pumping stations. I remember it started one Saturday, and didn't come back on in Bulwell at any rate until, think the following night. Or was it longer than that. I remember filling the bath with snow in order to melt it (had a gas cooker) to wash and to do washing up with. Hadn't got as far as having to drink it before supplies were restored.

I remember huddling around the battery radio, tuned in to Radio Nottingham listening for bulletins on how the work to restore supplies was going, area by area.

Merthyr Imp

I remember it but thought it was late 70s.

I lived in Carlton at the time.

It was not snow but an unusual frost/high humidity problem?

Build up of ice on wires brought them down.

The ice on the wires was inches thick.

I remember metal telephone poles bending with the weight of the wires

BT (or GPO?) had to call in extra staff from Ireland.

No - what I'm thinking of was in the 1980s (or maybe early 1990s) because it was when I was living in Bulwell, and I didn't move there until late 1980. There was definitely heavy snow, which started on a Saturday morning (maybe late the previous night) and it was said that due to a combination of it being wet snow and heavy winds it had forced the power lines down. It affected just about all of Nottingham as I remember.

On the subject of snow in Nottingham, can anyone remind me what year it was when a particular kind of heavy, wet snow brought down all the power lines in the area and all the electricity was cut off for most of Nottingham?

I moved to Arnold '87 and it was in Arnold they had water bowsers out on Rolleston Drive and the Major Oak had bottles beer only 'cos the power was down....so I would have said late 80s early 90s

The suggestion of December 1990 just prompted me to do an Internet search and I've found this debate about it in parliament:-

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1990/dec/19/electricity-supply-east-midlands

It was Friday night 7th of December when it started. I've only skimmed through all what's on there (after all a lot of it is MPs waffling) but it's got it all there, about what caused the power cuts and about the local radio bulletins etc.

• Upvote 1

I was seeing a girl who lived on Sneinton Dale at the time of the bent telegraph poles, I walked over from Carlton to check she was OK only to find she'd managed to get a taxi and was over at her mums in Langley Mill !

I walked up Cavendish road and tapped the cables with my mums clothes line prop to make the snow/ice fall off causing them to spring back up quite a bit other wise when the traffic did start to flow the bus's would have gone through them !! (If anybody remembers my post a while back, our house was connected to the first one in the country, now that happened when my Dad was still alive, he died in 1990.)

The telegraph pole outside my Mums remained bent for years and was finally replaced with a wooden one a year or so back , progress eh ?

I'm pretty sure it was as late as 92, as I worked at Business Post at the time, and fortunately it was my Saturday off.

piggy had just been made redundant the year after we moved to clifton . we moved to clifton september 1989.