Last year I bought a some 99p plastic buckets, and cut the bottoms out of them.

In the bottom bucket I planted a potato in good compost. As they grew I placed up to 2 more buckets on top and filled with compost and sprinklings of growmore fertillizer. Result after several month growing? Very few potatoes.

I usually grow my (outdoor) tomatoes in pots. Also grow lettuce and sometimes runner beans in growbags. In addition I often grow new potatoes, chitted from seed on the windowsill, in large pots in the garden.

I really like container gardening.

We were given some green bags for growing potatoes a couple of years ago. We filled them with bought (peat free) compost, planted seed potatoes and fed and watered them religiously. Lots of luxuriant top growth which got ripped to shreds in the first strong winds. The cost of the seed potatoes and compost exceed the value of the potatoes harvested by about ten to one. They did taste lovely though and the grandchildren had great fun digging them up. However we have great success growing carrots, beetroot, runner beans and even peas in a mixture of soil and compost in large pots. Must make sure they're well watered though. And four growbags keeps us going in tomatoes and salad leaves for most of the summer.

I had never had any success with container grown potatoes until last season.

I set three tubers on a layer of home-made compost in the bottom of a Dolly tub (If any of you don't know what one looks like I can post a picture). AS teh haulms (tops) grew I topped up the compost to just above the green bits. I continued doing this until the spuds were well above teh top of the tub and left them to grow on until the haulms died back.

Result: A good crop of medium sized potatoes with no slug damage.

My compost is made up from roughly equal parts of horse dung, sharp sand, leaf mould, home made compost and shop bought potting compost. If I have any used compost or used John Innes I bung that in too. I add a few of handfulls of organic 'Fish, blood and bone' fertilizer for good measure. Because I mix large quantities I use a concrete mixer for the job but it can easily be done in smaller measures.

I don't generally use containers for my veg because I have a large plot but given the right, balanced compost I see no reason why all veg should not be grown in pots as long as the pots are big enough.

One point NewBasfordlad & Roosta:

Potatoes require the right balance of feed in order to produces tubers. Given the wrong mix they will produce lush tops and no spuds. You can buy purpose made potato fertilizer from any garden catalogue, internet or your local garden centre.

Details of spud fertilizers and advice here:

http://www.bettervegetablegardening.com/fertilizing-potatoes.html

I been growing veg in containers for well over 20 years with some success I might add.

My dustbins of main crop produced an average of 24lbs a bin last year, and my 16 runners produced as always enough to freeze for a year. I love my runners I do.

I am most surprized no one has mentioned high potash feeds such as Tomorite as I find this invaluable when the fruits are swelling.

What do I grow in my containers pretty much everything that I would grow if I had a lotty.

Colin

What's your routine for growing potatoes and runner beans in containers, Colin? You sound like you have a lot of success.

Looking out the window at the bleak midwinter, freezing cold and snow all around, it's sometimes hard to think about growing things at this time of year. Helps you look forward to Spring though.

Runners are simplicity its self. Start them off in 6" pots, mid April when they get to about 6" high plant out 1 plant per Morrisons flower bucket. I have mine against a wall so that I can hang a support net for them. Then just keep them well watered and fed, I use Miracle Grow at every other watering. Never leave them on the plant to long they'll be as stringy as heck and it could stop the plant producing to its full potential. You should get between 4 to 6 pounds per plant.

Spuds first earlies go in Morrisons flower buckets 2 seed per buckets late Feb in the green house. Compost about 4" deep and fill bucket as the plant grows but never totaly cover the green. Compost has potato fertilizer mixed in before use. As the haulms grow I again use Miracle Grow and change to tomorite in week 6/7 dependent on the weather. Spuds should be ready in 7 to 12 weeks again on the weather, last year it was a full 12 weeks due to the crap weather.

2nd earlies and main crop go in dustbins mid to late March, no worries about frost as you can pop the lid on the bin to protect them. Same compost but change from Miracle Grow to tomorite on weeks 10 and 14 respectively. 2nd earlies will be ready in about 18 weeks and main crop in about 22 weeks.

Final point always water to the extent you think your giving them to much especially during the last 8 weeks of growth.

About Morrisons buckets I use them because the are dirt cheap 99p for 8 last year, sometimes even free and I love free. They are the black buckets you see flowers diplayed in all you have to do is bang a hole in the bottom for drainage.

Colin

• Upvote 1

My seed has been on order since Nov. Was informed on another site by one of Scotlands leading producers there may well be a shortage of certain vareities this year.

On order I have Red Duke of York 1st early, Lady Christl 1st/2nd early and Picasso for main crop.

Colin

Mine come from Orkney producers and I may not get my full order this year due to last season being so poor.